Friday, November 18, 2011
Residents of the Town of Calmar and surrounding area drew to the Calmar Royal Canadian Legion No. 266 for the Friday, November 11 Remembrance Day Service. In honor of the many Canadian soldiers who have went to war to fight for our country's freedom, the annual Service of Commemoration began at 10:45 a.m. with the March on Colors followed by the entire house taking part in singing the national anthem.
In a warm introductory welcome by Pastor Dale Drager, a thought-provoking question was put to the gathering as Pastor Drager asked everyone to consider “Who would you be willing to die for? Your children? Parents? Spouse? What about a total stranger?” Pastor Drager went on to remind us all that we gather on this special day in memory of over 113,000 men and women who said 'Yes', they would give their lives for a total stranger, and many of them did. Honoring the courage, bravery and valour of all those who fought in the World Wars, the Korean war, and our soldiers in Afghanistan, Pastor Drager led the room in prayer, after which everyone joined in singing the hymn of Onward Christian Soldiers.
At exactly 10:59 a.m., two minutes of silence were observed. The laying of wreaths followed as such:
for all who fought and died in the World Wars
for all who served in the Korean war
for all who have fought and died in Afghanistan
for Federal Government of Canada
Mayor Don Faulkner for MLA Diana McQueen
Ladies Auxiliary Calmar Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 266
Councillor Betty Glassman for Leduc County Mayor John Whaley
Councillor Michelle Borodawka
Town of Calmar
Deputy Chief Robert Manchuk
Calmar Fire Department
Black Gold Regional School Division
Scout Tanner, Austin Beaver and Cub Scout Colby
Calmar Scouts and Beavers
British Armed Forces
for all who died at sea.
It was a heart-felt and moving ceremony in the Calmar Legion honoring all Canadian soldiers on Remembrance Day. Following the singing of God Save the Queen, the public and all participants were invited to stay for a hot lunch, dessert and beverages, sponsored by the Calmar Ladies Legion Auxiliary. While enjoying the delicious smorg, music and traditional dancers entertained.
- Alberta Farm Days 2014 Discover Alberta’s culinary treasures during the second annual Alberta Open Farm Days, August 23 and 24. “From farm visits for the whole family, to one-of-a-kind culinary experience for foodies, Open Farm Days is a great ...
- Odysseo By Cavalia – The ‘Fusion’ Show It’s almost impossible to describe the show Odysseo by Cavalia that is taking place in Edmonton, without personally experiencing this unique theatrical performance. It’s not a horse show, although 64 horses participate. It’s ...
- Making Dreams Come True Imagine for a moment sitting in the front of a race car, feeling the heat of the engine and the roar of the horsepower as it carries you across the finish line in first place. The inner track is filled with other drivers ...
- I-Robot Arrives In Leduc! On Thursday, July 17th, 2014 two robots arrived at the Edmonton International Airport (EIA) on their way to K-Days. For an hour FURO-D and her younger more versatile sister, FURO-S, demonstrated their capabilities to the ...
- Alberta Prairie Classroom On Wheels (C.O.W. Bus) When did you learn how to read? At the Centre for family Literacy, we believe that literacy development begins at birth. Our homes are our first schools and our families are our first teachers. When children see family members ...
- Millet And Area Mourns The Passing Of A Giant Submitted by Brenda Jackson Communities are made up of wonderful people, and we are deeply saddened by the loss of one we called ours for many years - Laurence ‘Laurie’ Linaker. If I could describe Laurie in just a couple ...
- $17,578 Grant Awarded To Warburg Ag Society On Monday, July 14, Honourable Diana McQueen, Minister of Energy and MLA for Drayton Valley-Devon, met with Warburg Agricultural Society President Les Nemeth and Ag Society member Treasa Nemeth at the constituency office. ...
- Stage 7 Of Southfork Set To Go The next phase of development in Southfork will see the long-awaited second entrance put in. During the City of Leduc’s June 14 council meeting, manager of Current Planning and Development Carol Hampton said the second access ...
- Bike Night Raising Funds For Great Causes Terry Evans of Edmonton Classic Rock Station K-97 hosts, “Bike Night” each Tuesday night at Blackjack’s Roadhouse in Nisku, Alberta. Each week Bike Night raises funds for a charitable cause through the Poker Run and Charity ...
- Canada’s Amelia Earhart Amelia Earhart was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic and we all know about her ill-fated attempt to circumnavigate the globe. Earhart inspired hundreds of women to become airplane pilots and instill in ...
- Heimdal Walk For Global Care Heimdal Community Church, located east and a little south of Leduc, held its 39th Walk-A-Thon for Global Care with 77 walkers participating. All of the $70,000 raised by the walkers, plus any additional donations so dedicated, ...
- RCMP Musical Ride Coming To Leduc The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) will bring the Musical Ride to Amberlea Meadows on July 25th and 26th for Leduc and area residents. This will be the Ride’s second visit to Amberlea Meadows, as they demonstrated their ...
- New Fibre Optic Cables Set To Increase Internet Speed Throughout Wetaskiwin Beginning this summer, TELUS will be connecting more than 90 per cent of homes and businesses in Wetaskiwin directly to fibre optic cables. This build – which comes at no cost to the municipality or its residents – will bring ...
- Ma-Me-O Beach Legion Branch Funds Local Reading Program Submitted by Patrick Miller Every summer the Lakedale and Area Community Library Society is involved in a reading program for the children at the Pigeon Lake Public Library in Ma-Me-O Beach Alberta. Royal Canadian Legion ...
- Jazzy Week In Wetaskiwin Music was the focus for 12 youth (day session) and 8 adults (evening session for 16+) every day from July 6th to 11th at the Grace Lutheran Church in Wetaskiwin. The Church was the venue for the 6th annual Wetaskiwin Jazz ...