Thursday, June 28, 2012
I want to share an interesting news story with you. Jody Cardinal is a graduate of John Maland High School in Devon. Eleven years ago he went to Guangzhou China. He got a job teaching English at a TESOL( Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) CIEO school (Canadian International Educational Organization) started by a fellow Canadian. Over time Jody became the general manager with this company. The company has 800 employees. Last year students from Leduc, Devon and Beaumont were given the chance to go and work in China with Jody's firm. They were just out of grade twelve and looking for adventure. These students have worked ( 20 to 25 hours a week) making three times the average salary in China. Travel is so cheap that these students travel to Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand etc on long weekends.
This year Jody is again making this offer open to students who have just graduated, or have been out of high school for a few years or are in university but looking for an off year for adventure.. There will be information sessions for parents and interested students. There will be some video of students from here teaching in Chinese classrooms, a teaching demonstration and a time to ask questions. The students who go to China earn their TESOL certificate on the job while getting paid. They live in safe, gated Western style communities, are offered Mandarine lessons every week and socialize with students their age from all over the English speaking world.
The information sessions will be Monday June 25 at the Westin Hotel at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday in Devon at 6:30 or Wednesday in Nisku at the Executive Express Hotel at 6:30 p.m.
Many of the students still in China have already signed contracts for next year but are coming home to visit their families over the summer. A number of families flew over to China to visit their son/ daughter working there and they took short holidays to the Philippines and other countries because the cost is so affordable once you're there.
Submitted via email
When the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great, but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.
An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had recently failed an entire class. That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.
The professor then said, "OK, we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".. All grades will be averaged and everyone will receive the same grade so no one will fail and no one will receive an A.... (substituting grades for dollars - something closer to home and more readily understood by all).
After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy. As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D! No one was happy. When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.
As the tests proceeded, the scores never increased as bickering, blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.
To their great surprise, ALL FAILED and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great, but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.
These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read and all applicable to this experiment:
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
- Letter To The Editor Dear Editor: Thank you County of Wetaskiwin employee. On November 7, 2014, a County of Wetaskiwin employee came and cleaned up the road slope and ditch by our residence, removing grass sods and gravel which the grader operator ...
- Letter To The Editor Dear Editor: History has a way of repeating itself. Look at the book “Law of the Jungle: The $19 Billion Legal Battle Over Oil in the Rain Forest....” by Paul Barret, which is about how the oil giant Chevron was taken to ...
- Letter To The Editor Dear Editor, As some of you know, I have been battling multiple myeloma (a blood/bone cancer) since March. After 21 chemo treatments, it was determined that I would be a good candidate for a stem cell transplant. They forgot ...