Need For Speed
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Are you a speed freak? Does the thought of pushing the pedal to the metal get your heart pumping? Does the sound of an engine hitting 6000 rpm snap your head around? If so, then I'm pretty sure you've already been out to watch the action at Castrol Raceway at least once this summer, but if you haven't, then what are you waiting for?
With races happening every weekend from now through the first weekend of October, there is no reason not to indulge your need for speed.
No matter the type of racing you prefer, it's almost assured that Castrol has something that will cater to your taste, with everything from street legals, to sprint cars, funny cars, jet cars, dragsters and even bike drags and spruced up diesel semi drags.
Castrol Raceway has both a clay oval track as well as a paved drag strip, so anything with wheels that goes really, really fast can be put through it's paces at this one location. This last weekend of August 11/12 there were both drag races and oval racing to be had on the same day.
On the oval track, after some mid-afternoon racing, fans were allowed onto the track to get up close and personal with some of their favourite cars and drivers. Several 360 sprint cars and super stock cars were brought out and parked along the grandstand side of the oval and the gate was opened allowing race fans an intimate look at these high performance vehicles.
People flooded from the stands onto the oval raceway, braving the specialized sticky, clay surface, to take advantage of this opportunity. Grandpas with grandsons in tow, moms and dads, teenage sweethearts and everything in between were eager to touch these speed machines, and meet the drivers that send them screaming around the course.
The drivers were gracious enough to allow fans to climb behind the wheel and see what it was like to sit in the cockpit of a real race car, and the line-ups at each car served double duty as the drivers were also signing autographs as well.
A special fan favourite, especially with the younger crowd, was a scale model of a 360 sprint car that was exactly the right size to enable little people to climb behind the wheel and have their picture taken.
Once everyone was ushered back to the stands and the track was cleared the sprint cars took to the track again. Capable of reaching 140 miles per hour, on Castrol's 3/8 mile oval track, with the speed they pick up on the short straightaway, they end up sliding around the corners almost sideways. It always makes for exciting action that sometimes ends up in airborne moments and scary crashes. Thankfully, new safety regulations for sprint cars pretty much ensure that drivers rarely suffer injuries any more, no matter how spectacular the crash.
This coming weekend of August 18/19 you will find several events running on both tracks. On Saturday beginning at 6pm the oval will be hosting another evening of Zorba's Night Thunder action, while team finals will be running on the drag strip. On Sunday there will be a pickup, van and semi show 'n' shine, as well as Edmonton's Fastest Street Car Shoot-Out.
So to experience some high octane excitement before these beautiful summer days all too soon come to an end, head over to Castrol Raceway. The inner speed freak in you won't be disappointed.
- Leduc Comp Takes On Provincial Champions The Leduc Comp. Football Team got off to a great start in league play as they defeated Eastglen 33 to 20 on Friday, September 5th. This was the first game for many of the players and they were immediately put behind the eight ...
- Leduc Figure Skating Club Ahead Of The Curve Leduc Figure Skating Club is ahead of the curve with the new CanSkate program being launched across the nation. In rinks all across the country this fall, Canadians will experience the revitalized CanSkate program, Canada’s ...
- Tour of Alberta Simson Maxwell Stage 3 Begins in Wetaskiwin The corner of 52nd Street and 50th Avenue in downtown Wetaskiwin was a flurry of activity on Friday, September 5th, 2014. Entertainment stage, displays, children activities, food vendors and hundreds of spectators lined the ...
- Wetaskiwin Composite High School Sabres Football WCHS SABRES FOOTBALL 2014 Roster Jersey # Name 1 Bishop, Davis 2 Audet, Jaden 3 Gabay, Joshua 6 Brooks, ...
- Leduc Skateboard Park Last week we reported on the annual Rock the Rails event held at the Leduc Skateboard Park. One of the sponsors of the event rightly pointed out that though they liked the coverage they were disappointed that the article ...