Football Kicks Off In Wetaskiwin
Friday, September 14, 2012
Saturday September 8, 2012 was Football Day in Wetaskiwin. The 10th Anniversary of the Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) kicked off their season with a jamboree of four football games. The day started at 10am with the Atom (ages 8 to 10) Wolverines. At 12:30pm the Bantam (ages11 & 12) Warriors squad took to the field. At 3:30pm the Peewee (ages 13 to 15) Wildcats kicked off their season. The day ended with an Alumni game with 40 “old-timers” suiting up at 7pm. All three teams played their counterparts from Camrose.
Mayor Bill Elliot was also in attendance and congratulated the WDAFA for the time and dedication by the many volunteers that have been so successful over the past ten years. The Mayor also thanked the parents, coaches, managers, trainers, referees and the WDAFA executive for their continued commitment and enthusiasm and hoped the players will play well, display sportsmanship, and enjoy the season.
The WDAFA used the day to host a Food Bank Drive and encouraged spectators to contribute. The Edmonton International Raceway brought a number of their cars and drivers as well as their mascot, which was a big hit among the young at heart. His D- fence cheer was well received by the fans and teams. The Raceway also provided free tickets to the crowd for the September 15th or the 22nd events at the Raceway.
Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) provide a quality minor football program for children and youth in the Wetaskiwin county area. The league will run this fall, at the Wetaskiwin Lions Track & Field Facility named Norm Brown Field. The Bantam Warriors and Peewee Wildcats teams will be playing in the Central Football League while the Atom Wolverines will compete in the Capital District Minor Football League.
The Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Team kicked off their season on Thursday with a hard fought lost against Lindsay Thurber of Red Deer. Wetaskiwin Comp plays in the Central Alberta League with high school teams from Ponoka, Camrose, Hunting Hills, Lindsay Thurber, Notre Dame, Stettler, Lacombe, Rocky Mtn House, and Sylvan Lake
Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Schedule
Thurs. Sept 13 Stettler @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Sept 21 Wetaskiwin @ Camrose
Thurs. Sept 27 Wetaskiwin @ Notre Dame
Thurs. Oct 4 Rocky Mtn house @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Oct 12 Ponoka @ Wetaskiwin
Oct 18 to Nov 24 League & Provincial Playoffs
- Leduc Comp Takes On Provincial Champions The Leduc Comp. Football Team got off to a great start in league play as they defeated Eastglen 33 to 20 on Friday, September 5th. This was the first game for many of the players and they were immediately put behind the eight ...
- Leduc Figure Skating Club Ahead Of The Curve Leduc Figure Skating Club is ahead of the curve with the new CanSkate program being launched across the nation. In rinks all across the country this fall, Canadians will experience the revitalized CanSkate program, Canada’s ...
- Tour of Alberta Simson Maxwell Stage 3 Begins in Wetaskiwin The corner of 52nd Street and 50th Avenue in downtown Wetaskiwin was a flurry of activity on Friday, September 5th, 2014. Entertainment stage, displays, children activities, food vendors and hundreds of spectators lined the ...
- Wetaskiwin Composite High School Sabres Football WCHS SABRES FOOTBALL 2014 Roster Jersey # Name 1 Bishop, Davis 2 Audet, Jaden 3 Gabay, Joshua 6 Brooks, ...
- Leduc Skateboard Park Last week we reported on the annual Rock the Rails event held at the Leduc Skateboard Park. One of the sponsors of the event rightly pointed out that though they liked the coverage they were disappointed that the article ...