Football Kicks Off In Wetaskiwin
Friday, September 14, 2012
Saturday September 8, 2012 was Football Day in Wetaskiwin. The 10th Anniversary of the Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) kicked off their season with a jamboree of four football games. The day started at 10am with the Atom (ages 8 to 10) Wolverines. At 12:30pm the Bantam (ages11 & 12) Warriors squad took to the field. At 3:30pm the Peewee (ages 13 to 15) Wildcats kicked off their season. The day ended with an Alumni game with 40 “old-timers” suiting up at 7pm. All three teams played their counterparts from Camrose.
Mayor Bill Elliot was also in attendance and congratulated the WDAFA for the time and dedication by the many volunteers that have been so successful over the past ten years. The Mayor also thanked the parents, coaches, managers, trainers, referees and the WDAFA executive for their continued commitment and enthusiasm and hoped the players will play well, display sportsmanship, and enjoy the season.
The WDAFA used the day to host a Food Bank Drive and encouraged spectators to contribute. The Edmonton International Raceway brought a number of their cars and drivers as well as their mascot, which was a big hit among the young at heart. His D- fence cheer was well received by the fans and teams. The Raceway also provided free tickets to the crowd for the September 15th or the 22nd events at the Raceway.
Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) provide a quality minor football program for children and youth in the Wetaskiwin county area. The league will run this fall, at the Wetaskiwin Lions Track & Field Facility named Norm Brown Field. The Bantam Warriors and Peewee Wildcats teams will be playing in the Central Football League while the Atom Wolverines will compete in the Capital District Minor Football League.
The Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Team kicked off their season on Thursday with a hard fought lost against Lindsay Thurber of Red Deer. Wetaskiwin Comp plays in the Central Alberta League with high school teams from Ponoka, Camrose, Hunting Hills, Lindsay Thurber, Notre Dame, Stettler, Lacombe, Rocky Mtn House, and Sylvan Lake
Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Schedule
Thurs. Sept 13 Stettler @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Sept 21 Wetaskiwin @ Camrose
Thurs. Sept 27 Wetaskiwin @ Notre Dame
Thurs. Oct 4 Rocky Mtn house @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Oct 12 Ponoka @ Wetaskiwin
Oct 18 to Nov 24 League & Provincial Playoffs
- Breton Edged By Caroline The Breton Cougars 6-Man Football team saw their season come to an end one game too soon on Friday, November 14th, when they squared off for the third time against the Caroline Cougars. Breton had qualified to play in the ...
- 2014 Wetaskiwin Football Banquet & Awards Night On Thursday night, November 13th, a swarm of young football players, coaches, volunteers and guests descended on the Wetaskiwin Memorial Centre to celebrate a stellar year of WDAFA Football. One of the phrases thrown out ...
- Warburg Hosts Junior Volleyball Championship Warburg School hosted the North Central School’s Junior High Zone Championships on Friday & Saturday, November 7th & 8th. In all, eight girls’ teams and five boys teams attended the two-day event. Teams came from Neerlandia, ...
- Christ The King Takes Title The Christ the King (CTK) Senior Girls’ volleyball team won the Metro Edmonton High School Athletic Association’s (MEHSAA) Division Three Championship on Thursday, November 6th. CTK earned the right to play in the championship ...
- Christ The King (CTK) Advances The Christ the King (CTK) Boys’ Volleyball Team turned their season around when they won two of their last three matches in league play. As a result they earned the right to host a quarterfinal match for Division Three. On ...
- Breton Defeats Caroline The Breton Cougars travelled to Caroline on Monday, October 27th to finish league play against the Cougars from Caroline. The two cats had started the season in September in a snowstorm and finished league play in semi snowy ...