Football Kicks Off In Wetaskiwin
Friday, September 14, 2012
Saturday September 8, 2012 was Football Day in Wetaskiwin. The 10th Anniversary of the Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) kicked off their season with a jamboree of four football games. The day started at 10am with the Atom (ages 8 to 10) Wolverines. At 12:30pm the Bantam (ages11 & 12) Warriors squad took to the field. At 3:30pm the Peewee (ages 13 to 15) Wildcats kicked off their season. The day ended with an Alumni game with 40 “old-timers” suiting up at 7pm. All three teams played their counterparts from Camrose.
Mayor Bill Elliot was also in attendance and congratulated the WDAFA for the time and dedication by the many volunteers that have been so successful over the past ten years. The Mayor also thanked the parents, coaches, managers, trainers, referees and the WDAFA executive for their continued commitment and enthusiasm and hoped the players will play well, display sportsmanship, and enjoy the season.
The WDAFA used the day to host a Food Bank Drive and encouraged spectators to contribute. The Edmonton International Raceway brought a number of their cars and drivers as well as their mascot, which was a big hit among the young at heart. His D- fence cheer was well received by the fans and teams. The Raceway also provided free tickets to the crowd for the September 15th or the 22nd events at the Raceway.
Wetaskiwin and District Amateur Football Association (WDAFA) provide a quality minor football program for children and youth in the Wetaskiwin county area. The league will run this fall, at the Wetaskiwin Lions Track & Field Facility named Norm Brown Field. The Bantam Warriors and Peewee Wildcats teams will be playing in the Central Football League while the Atom Wolverines will compete in the Capital District Minor Football League.
The Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Team kicked off their season on Thursday with a hard fought lost against Lindsay Thurber of Red Deer. Wetaskiwin Comp plays in the Central Alberta League with high school teams from Ponoka, Camrose, Hunting Hills, Lindsay Thurber, Notre Dame, Stettler, Lacombe, Rocky Mtn House, and Sylvan Lake
Wetaskiwin Comp Sabres Football Schedule
Thurs. Sept 13 Stettler @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Sept 21 Wetaskiwin @ Camrose
Thurs. Sept 27 Wetaskiwin @ Notre Dame
Thurs. Oct 4 Rocky Mtn house @ Wetaskiwin
Fri. Oct 12 Ponoka @ Wetaskiwin
Oct 18 to Nov 24 League & Provincial Playoffs
- Castrol Raceway’s LA1K A Success! In spite of monsoon conditions on Friday, July 25th, and an overcast rainy morning on Saturday which kept crowds to a minimum, the first LA1K Endurance Road Race was a success with drivers and the sponsors, VLT Operators ...
- Local Baseball Players Heading To Summer Games Wetaskiwin resident, Mathew Coutney and Camrose residents, Kyler Charchun and Devon Heck, will be joining the best-of-the-best 15 year old baseball players at the Alberta Summer Games in Airdrie, AB, July 24-27, 2014. The ...
- Stage Routes Announced For Tour Of Alberta The exact course routes and profiles and other details for each stage of the Tour of Alberta, September 2 - 7, 2014 were announced by the Tour of Alberta during a teleconference on July 9th, 2014. Wetaskiwin will be a starting ...
- Catrol's LA1K A Week Away! Next week, the Castrol Raceway will put to good use the recently completed road course when they host the first LA1K race. This will be the first time this type of race will be held in Canada. The Northern Alberta Sports ...
- Edmonton International Raceway Roars To A NASCAR Success On Friday, July 11th, the Edmonton International Raceway located NW of Wetaskiwin was the scene of a great deal of bustle and excitement as thousands of people came to enjoy the inaugural 2014 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series ...