A Smashing Good Time
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Tires were spinning, dust was flying, and metal was mashing; what more could you want from a great
demolition derby? Amazingly, in this round of mini-class cars, despite looking the worse for wear, the red car came out the winner!
It just goes to show you that Albertans will do just about anything in the name of charity and hockey...including crashing their cars!
The Annual NSMHA Demolition Derby was held in New Sarepta on Sunday, September 9th, and the stands were packed with hockey fans and demolition fans alike. It helped that the weather cooperated this year and the event took place under beautiful sunny skies, unlike the last few years where rain turned the arena into a mud pit. However, one long time attendee to the event that preferred to remain anonymous, stated that rain isn't enough to keep demolition devotees away. "With all the mud flying around and getting in everyone's hair and faces, we just call it a redneck spa!" she laughed.
With five rounds of action there was no shortage of fun and mayhem to watch. But just as in any sport there is still an element of danger. In the truck round, which is a crowd favourite because there are some really big hits that can take place with trucks, there was an incident this year that sent one young man to hospital. The Driver of truck #82, Robert Gardner of Edmonton, took a particularly hard hit in that round, and had to be cut out of his truck and then taken by ambulance to hospital. He had been thrown into his steering column and had the wind knocked out of him to the point where he blacked out for a few seconds, but thankfully he was fine, with just some seriously sore ribs and a few new bruises to show for his effort.
Another wonderful outcome of the day was to see Chad Reyse from Warburg win his round after announcing that this would be his final event and that he was retiring from the sport of demolition derby.
The final standings for the days are as follows:
Full Sized Cars - 1st) Chad Reyse (Warburg), 2nd) Chad Kruger (Thorsby), 3rd) Dave Pattison (Leduc)
Mid-Sized Cars - 1st) Travis Hill (Sherwood Park), 2nd) Jim Meyers (Sherwood Park), 3rd) Ian Stewart (Warburg)
Minis - 1st) Shayne Cordell (Sylvan Lake), 2nd) Jeff Hill (Warburg), 3rd) Dustin Doucette (Leduc)
Trucks - 1st) Lee Buzsik (Calgary), 2nd) Neil Wynacnt (Strathmore), 3rd) Al Engman
Powder Puff - 1st) Katrina Oliphant, 2nd) Jordon Dobie (New Sarepta), 3rd) Charlene Wilson (New Sarepta)
Best Dressed - Matt Bittery (Calgary)
It was a hugely successful event this year that brought in about $8,500.00 for the New Sarepta Minor Hockey Association. One of the event organizers, Dennis Levasseur, shared that all of that money raised here stays with the local club.
All in all, everyone that attended the NSMHA Demolition Derby, along with the kids that will benefit from the money raised that day, are winners! And whether your neck is red or any other colour, make sure you don't miss out on this great event next year. I guarantee you'll have a smashing good time!
- Breton Edged By Caroline The Breton Cougars 6-Man Football team saw their season come to an end one game too soon on Friday, November 14th, when they squared off for the third time against the Caroline Cougars. Breton had qualified to play in the ...
- 2014 Wetaskiwin Football Banquet & Awards Night On Thursday night, November 13th, a swarm of young football players, coaches, volunteers and guests descended on the Wetaskiwin Memorial Centre to celebrate a stellar year of WDAFA Football. One of the phrases thrown out ...
- Warburg Hosts Junior Volleyball Championship Warburg School hosted the North Central School’s Junior High Zone Championships on Friday & Saturday, November 7th & 8th. In all, eight girls’ teams and five boys teams attended the two-day event. Teams came from Neerlandia, ...
- Christ The King Takes Title The Christ the King (CTK) Senior Girls’ volleyball team won the Metro Edmonton High School Athletic Association’s (MEHSAA) Division Three Championship on Thursday, November 6th. CTK earned the right to play in the championship ...
- Christ The King (CTK) Advances The Christ the King (CTK) Boys’ Volleyball Team turned their season around when they won two of their last three matches in league play. As a result they earned the right to host a quarterfinal match for Division Three. On ...
- Breton Defeats Caroline The Breton Cougars travelled to Caroline on Monday, October 27th to finish league play against the Cougars from Caroline. The two cats had started the season in September in a snowstorm and finished league play in semi snowy ...