The House of Dr. Woods

 

In 1927 Dr. Woods decided he wanted to build a house that could serve as both a home for his family and a medical office for his practice. He decided on an American Craftsman Style home, as it met both his practical needs and an architectural style that was, at the time, unique to Leduc.
The Craftsman homes were modest homes that incorporated the simple but elegant use of locally handcrafted wood, stone, and glass. Even the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright used the Craftsman Style in developing his Prairie Style homes.
Dr. Woods bought the land for his house from Mr. John Flood, who in turn had purchased the property from the Merchant Bank. The bank had built the first bank in Leduc on the property in 1902, but had moved when the bank merged with the Bank of Montreal.  The central location of the property was a key in Dr. Woods’s decision to purchase the property.
A Craftsman home featured a number of unique designs. These included, low-pitched rooflines, deeply overhanging eaves, exposed rafters, a front porch beneath extension of main roof, tapered, square columns supporting roof, and handcrafted stone or woodwork. All of these features can be found in Dr. Woods’s home.
Dr. Woods also wanted to have a garage for his automobile. The garage would later be converted into a separate wing in the 1940’s and today serves as a Tea Room for The Leduc and District Historical Society’s Teas, held throughout the year.
When Dr. Woods died in 1936 Mrs. Woods remarried and sold the house in 1938 to a Mr. McCready. For the next forty-five years four different individuals, including MLA Ronald Earle Ansley, owned the house. In the 1940’s the house was converted to host three different families. This is when the garage was converted to accommodate a family as well as the medical wing and of course the main living section. 
In 1982 the City of Leduc took possession of the home and The Leduc and District Historical Society have operated it ever since. In 1993 the house was designated an Alberta Registered Historic Site. In 2008 the home was named an Alberta Municipal Historic Site.
Dr. Woods House Museum remains as an excellent example of a Craftsman Style home of the 1920’s. The Leduc and District Historical Society have done an excellent job of restoring the home to reflect what a small prairie Canadian doctor’s home and medical office would resemble. The Society and its volunteers continue to preserve the home cataloguing, displaying and manage resources. For a donation anyone can enjoy visiting the museum and take a trip back in time when Leduc and District were at the beginning of their existence. 
 
Read us next week as we bring you the story of the man and how he came to be here in Leduc.
 
More Stories:
  • The Old Car Detective Father and son with 1959 Cadillac hardtop     Jamal Salam of Mississauga, Ontario, owns an American icon, a 1959 Cadillac two-door hardtop with the biggest tailfins in town!  His Series 6337 Coupe de Ville came from Arizona ...
  • Why Annexation?     One of the questions that was asked at an Edmonton informational session last week has stuck in this reporters mind. The question was a simple one “What is the need to annex since the people remain the same regardless ...
  • “We’ve a Lot of Work to Do”     Those were the words from Tim Brockelsby, a Senior Planner for the City of Edmonton, at the conclusion of Edmonton’s second of five planned conversations with Leduc residents affected by Edmonton’s proposed annexation ...
  • Leduc Rural Crime Watch Award Cst. Mcfarlene, President Cor De Wit, Mayor Whaley.      The Farmers’ Advocate Office (FAO) has announced that the Leduc Rural Crime Watch Association has been awarded their 2013 Award for Excellence.      The award was established ...
  • 13,000 HOUR DONATION Executive Director, Petra Pfeiffer, thanks Jeannie Blakely on Appreciation evening. Whenever there is a crime or tragedy, there is a victim.           The word ‘victim’ does not adequately describe the complexity of circumstances ...
  • RURAL CRIME WATCH     The organization had been undergoing a serious decline in interest until the fall of 2011 and spring of 2012 when the community experienced a rash of break-ins and thefts. Membership spiked and with increased monitoring ...
  • Wetaskiwin Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast  City of Wetaskiwin Mayor Bill Elliot shows the ribbon shirt which was given to him by Laron Northwest on behalf of the Samson Cree Nation and Maskwacis.     Wetaskiwin's 23rd Annual Mayor's Prayer Breakfast was held at ...
  • Kids Making a Difference The 19th annual Leaders of Tomorrow Awards Program for Wetaskiwin and area was held at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum the evening of April 7th.  This is a program to recognize the good kids who are making a positive difference ...
  • Leduc City Citizens of Distinction     Annual ceremony hosted during Leduc’s Volunteer Appreciation Banquet.     The City of Leduc is pleased to announce the following recipients of the 2013 Citizens of Distinction Awards: Brianna Day  Athletic Achievement ...
  • Lakedell 4-H Beef Club     Our club has been keeping busy. In February we had our beef supper on valentines day with a great turn out. On the 15th our club attended the Red Deer Rebels game. We also had Public speaking on the 28th. All members ...
  • Spring Fling Mercedez Swallow creates a spotted puppy at the Spring Fling trade fair in the Wetaskiwin Drill Hall.      Wetaskiwin Chamber of Commerce hosts new features - Hosting successful events has challenges. But observing a steady ...




 
  • Leduc Radio Ad
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia