Shoot-out Win for “Ice”
Friday, November 30, 2012
It was a busy weekend for the Wetaskiwin Iceman hockey team. On Friday night they rolled open the welcome mat for the 2011/12 league champion Spruce Grove Regals.
The game lived up to its billing as the two top Divisional leaders waged a battle of attrition that ended in a 6-5 overtime shootout win for the Iceman.
The Iceman drew first blood 22 seconds into the game with Kevin Liner wasting no time putting the puck into the net. Spruce Grove goalie Carlen Lyle was hammered with seven shots in the first few minutes by Iceman shooters as Iceman goalie Chris Sharkey watched from the other end. Spruce Grove answered back with a goal fifteen minutes later. To round out the first Iceman Suede Omeasoo also scored making it 2-1 for Wetaskiwin after one.
The second period saw the shot totals even out and the two teams tied. The Regals went ahead by a goal then Iceman Dawson Kless tied it up 3-3. The two teams traded punches in a high octane period.
Spruce Grove got the first two goals of the third period to take a 5-3 lead. DJ Bennefield proved again why he is one of the leaders of the Iceman. DJ scored the next goal to get the team adrenalin, along with the hometown fans going again. As the clock wore down and the two teams went back and forth Wetaskiwin’s Jordan Howe managed to tie it up at 2:34. Of course the fans went crazy.
This set the stage for the Iceman’s first overtime period of the year that they were lucky to escape. After taking two questionable penalties in OT the Iceman, thanks to goalie Chris Sharkey, managed to deservingly get to the shootout.
The first overtime game of the year followed by a shootout was all the fans could ask for. It was test time again for the goalies. The Iceman started with shooter DJ Bennefield who didn’t score followed by the Regals with no luck either. Dylan Weaver Of Wetaskiwin was next with a nice goal. Spruce Grove failed on their second shot. Slick playmaker Suede Omeasoo finished it off for Wetaskiwin with a highlight reel deke to give the Iceman 2 points and a very exciting 6-5 win.
Iceman coaches Rick Gregory and Richard Dupre were very happy with their “ teams effort and the fact that they are a well balanced hockey team with firepower on every line ”. Fans were treated to CJHL hockey at its finest and hopefully for the Iceman this translates to more fans in the seats for the upcoming weeks. Next up for the Iceman are the Stony Plain Flyers on Grey Cup Sunday afternoon followed by an away game in Sherwood Park on Friday November 30th at 8pm.
Upcoming Iceman Events :
“December is Food Bank Month” Bring a non perishable food item and you will receive a free ticket to an Iceman hockey game.
Dec. 16th “Boston Pizza Night” Meet and Greet the Iceman and their Parents & Fan Appreciation Night at Boston Pizza after the game.
Dec. 21st “Turkey toss”
Jan. 13 th “Teddy Bear Toss” for Victim Services in conjunction with Minor Hockey week.
Wetaskiwin Minor Hockey Pee Wee A&B Challenge Tournament
November 30th to December 2nd 2012
Game times: Friday Nov. 30th 5:45-10:00pm
Saturday Dec. 1st 8:00 am – 8:15 pm
Sunday Dec. 2nd 8:00 am – 5:45 pm
Please come out and support these Pee Wee Teams!
Pee Wee “A” Division
Pee Wee “B” Division
Edmonton Whitemud Stony Plain
Sylvan Lake Wetaskiwin
- Tour of Alberta Simson Maxwell Stage 3 Begins in Wetaskiwin The corner of 52nd Street and 50th Avenue in downtown Wetaskiwin was a flurry of activity on Friday, September 5th, 2014. Entertainment stage, displays, children activities, food vendors and hundreds of spectators lined the ...
- Wetaskiwin Composite High School Sabres Football WCHS SABRES FOOTBALL 2014 Roster Jersey # Name 1 Bishop, Davis 2 Audet, Jaden 3 Gabay, Joshua 6 Brooks, ...
- Leduc Skateboard Park Last week we reported on the annual Rock the Rails event held at the Leduc Skateboard Park. One of the sponsors of the event rightly pointed out that though they liked the coverage they were disappointed that the article ...
- Wetaskiwin Horseshoe Tournament 2014 The Wetaskiwin Horseshoe Club held a very successful tournament with 33 horseshoe pitchers registered to compete, more than at any of this year's previous club tournaments. Participants came from across the province, from ...
- High School Football Season Begins The high school football season kicked off this week with the Breton 6 man team travelling to Sherwood Park to take on the Millwoods Christian Royals on Friday, August 29th. This will be a good test for both teams as Millwoods ...