Getting to know...
Fire Chief Polsom
Friday, November 30, 2012
We managed to find a bit of time where thankfully, no buildings were engulfed in flames and no kitties were perilously balancing on a high tree branch awaiting rescue, so Chief Polsom was able to carve a few minutes out of his very busy schedule to sit down and chat with us.
Q: What is your favourite candy?
A: (laughs) M&M's! Gotta have the chocolate!
Q: Cat person or dog person?
A: Dog. We have two at home that both came from dog rescues.
Q: What is your biggest fear?
A: Hmmmm...(thinks for a moment) That's a good one! I think my biggest fear is not making a difference.
Q: What was the last movie you watched?
A: Revenge Of The Nerds.
Q: What is your dream vacation?
A: Rome. Both my wife and I really want to go there.
Q: Do you participate in a sport?
A: Ooh, a little bit. I like to ride my bike and go hiking. I'm really not a sports person. I like to watch hockey! (Smiles)
Q: What is your favourite colour?
Q: What is your favourite season and why?
A: Spring. It's just renewal. I think I'm solar powered! (Laughs)
Q: What is the favourite pair of shoes that you own?
A: (Whips his feet up onto his desk and points to them with a big smile) My hiking boots!
Q: If we were buying, what would you be having for dinner?
A: Something Thai. Probably Pad Thai.
Q: What is your favourite thing to do in Leduc?
A: There's so many things to do, this is a great town! But probably just coming down to the station and spending time with my staff.
Q: Do you have a hobby or collect anything?
A: Nope. My wife collects Fire Department things on my behalf. (Smiles)
Q: Who is your hero?
A: My dad.
Q: What is playing on your MP3 player right now?
A: I'm very eclectic. I'm not sure what's on there at this very moment. It could be almost anything except country and western.
Q: What is the best dish that you make?
A: Butter chicken.
Q: What is your proudest moment?
A: Gosh, I don't know...there are so many. (Smiles) I think standing beside my wife at the altar.
Q: Movie or live theatre?
A: Both. I can't choose between them! I love both.
Q: Name one item on your bucket list.
A: Wow. The problem is I do them as I think of them! (Chuckles) Probably a European tour.
Q: What did you want to be when you were a child?
A: Like my dad.
Q: If you could do any job other than the one you have, what would you do?
A: Hmmm...y'know...something helping people. A nurse maybe.
- Young Medieval Knights And Maidens Training In Wetaskiwin On each day of the week of July 21st to 25th, 2014, a group of dedicated and aspiring young knights and maidens gathered in the mezzanine of Arena 2 in Wetaskiwin. It was the scene of KnightHaven Medieval Day Camp held annually ...
- Elks: 90 Years Of Community Service The Wetaskiwin Elks Lodge celebrated its 90th Anniversary with two events: an early afternoon BBQ with free hot dogs and pop for the public, and an evening supper with a program for Elks and guests. The free lunch was intended ...
- Evelyn’s An Old/New Success Story If you haven’t considered eating out in Millet, Alberta already, you now have one more classy reason to do so. As of July 1st, 2014, Evelyn McDonald, in partnership with Rudy Schipper, has opened ‘Evelyn’s Old Bank Restaurant ...
- Behind The Scenes Of The Musical Ride Fortunately, Amberlea Meadows was well prepared for the 90mm’s of rain that fell on Friday, July 25th as they were able to host the Musical Ride inside in their arena. Hopes to host Saturday’s Ride outside were dashed early, ...
- FireFly Acoustic Music Festival By Pat Garrett Even though the weather and a few minor glitches tried to put a damper on the FireFly Acoustic Music Festival, it went ahead as planned. This year was bigger and better. With a little more planning and a lot ...
- You Never Know For the past twenty years, among the first singers one thinks of when country music is the topic, is Tim McGraw. Last Tuesday, July 22nd, as part of K-Days, he gave another outstanding performance, but what he didn’t know ...
- Alberta Farm Days 2014 Discover Alberta’s culinary treasures during the second annual Alberta Open Farm Days, August 23 and 24. “From farm visits for the whole family, to one-of-a-kind culinary experience for foodies, Open Farm Days is a great ...
- Odysseo By Cavalia – The ‘Fusion’ Show It’s almost impossible to describe the show Odysseo by Cavalia that is taking place in Edmonton, without personally experiencing this unique theatrical performance. It’s not a horse show, although 64 horses participate. It’s ...
- Making Dreams Come True Imagine for a moment sitting in the front of a race car, feeling the heat of the engine and the roar of the horsepower as it carries you across the finish line in first place. The inner track is filled with other drivers ...
- I-Robot Arrives In Leduc! On Thursday, July 17th, 2014 two robots arrived at the Edmonton International Airport (EIA) on their way to K-Days. For an hour FURO-D and her younger more versatile sister, FURO-S, demonstrated their capabilities to the ...
- Alberta Prairie Classroom On Wheels (C.O.W. Bus) When did you learn how to read? At the Centre for family Literacy, we believe that literacy development begins at birth. Our homes are our first schools and our families are our first teachers. When children see family members ...
- Millet And Area Mourns The Passing Of A Giant Submitted by Brenda Jackson Communities are made up of wonderful people, and we are deeply saddened by the loss of one we called ours for many years - Laurence ‘Laurie’ Linaker. If I could describe Laurie in just a couple ...
- $17,578 Grant Awarded To Warburg Ag Society On Monday, July 14, Honourable Diana McQueen, Minister of Energy and MLA for Drayton Valley-Devon, met with Warburg Agricultural Society President Les Nemeth and Ag Society member Treasa Nemeth at the constituency office. ...
- Stage 7 Of Southfork Set To Go The next phase of development in Southfork will see the long-awaited second entrance put in. During the City of Leduc’s June 14 council meeting, manager of Current Planning and Development Carol Hampton said the second access ...
- Bike Night Raising Funds For Great Causes Terry Evans of Edmonton Classic Rock Station K-97 hosts, “Bike Night” each Tuesday night at Blackjack’s Roadhouse in Nisku, Alberta. Each week Bike Night raises funds for a charitable cause through the Poker Run and Charity ...
- Canada’s Amelia Earhart Amelia Earhart was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic and we all know about her ill-fated attempt to circumnavigate the globe. Earhart inspired hundreds of women to become airplane pilots and instill in ...