Getting to know...
Fire Chief Polsom
Friday, November 30, 2012
We managed to find a bit of time where thankfully, no buildings were engulfed in flames and no kitties were perilously balancing on a high tree branch awaiting rescue, so Chief Polsom was able to carve a few minutes out of his very busy schedule to sit down and chat with us.
Q: What is your favourite candy?
A: (laughs) M&M's! Gotta have the chocolate!
Q: Cat person or dog person?
A: Dog. We have two at home that both came from dog rescues.
Q: What is your biggest fear?
A: Hmmmm...(thinks for a moment) That's a good one! I think my biggest fear is not making a difference.
Q: What was the last movie you watched?
A: Revenge Of The Nerds.
Q: What is your dream vacation?
A: Rome. Both my wife and I really want to go there.
Q: Do you participate in a sport?
A: Ooh, a little bit. I like to ride my bike and go hiking. I'm really not a sports person. I like to watch hockey! (Smiles)
Q: What is your favourite colour?
Q: What is your favourite season and why?
A: Spring. It's just renewal. I think I'm solar powered! (Laughs)
Q: What is the favourite pair of shoes that you own?
A: (Whips his feet up onto his desk and points to them with a big smile) My hiking boots!
Q: If we were buying, what would you be having for dinner?
A: Something Thai. Probably Pad Thai.
Q: What is your favourite thing to do in Leduc?
A: There's so many things to do, this is a great town! But probably just coming down to the station and spending time with my staff.
Q: Do you have a hobby or collect anything?
A: Nope. My wife collects Fire Department things on my behalf. (Smiles)
Q: Who is your hero?
A: My dad.
Q: What is playing on your MP3 player right now?
A: I'm very eclectic. I'm not sure what's on there at this very moment. It could be almost anything except country and western.
Q: What is the best dish that you make?
A: Butter chicken.
Q: What is your proudest moment?
A: Gosh, I don't know...there are so many. (Smiles) I think standing beside my wife at the altar.
Q: Movie or live theatre?
A: Both. I can't choose between them! I love both.
Q: Name one item on your bucket list.
A: Wow. The problem is I do them as I think of them! (Chuckles) Probably a European tour.
Q: What did you want to be when you were a child?
A: Like my dad.
Q: If you could do any job other than the one you have, what would you do?
A: Hmmm...y'know...something helping people. A nurse maybe.
- Helping African Grandmothers Wetaskiwin Grands 4 Africa held a tremendously successful luncheon and program in support of the Stephen Lewis Foundation in its work to support grandmothers and community recovery in 15 of the African countries most affected ...
- The Terry Fox Run Rocked the City of Leduc On average, 500 Canadians will be diagnosed with cancer every day, making fundraising and awareness events like the annual and nationwide Terry Fox Run critical. This year marks the 32nd annual Terry Fox Run for cancer research. ...
- Keep On Learning Foundation Launched In Maskwacis Submitted by Felisha Crier Hosein My name is Felisha Crier Hosein, the founder and president of the ‘Keep On Learning Foundation’, a non-profit organization created as a way to make a difference in the lives of First Nations’ ...
- Meet N' Greet Summer Party Summer vacation is over, kids are back to school, gardens are cleared, lawns are mowed, and you don’t know your new neighbour. Well, have a Meet N’ Greet - Show N’ Shine. On Saturday September 13, 2014, Pat & Jean Trottier ...
- Manluk Centre Officially Opens Although Wetaskiwin’s Manluk Centre Wetaskiwin Regional Aquatics & Fitness has been in operation since June 26th of this year, final touches such as the Donor Wall had to be completed. With great anticipation and careful ...
- While You’re Making Plans, Life Happens — The One Welcomes A New Face That pretty well sums up Leduc’s 93.1, The One, radio station’s new morning man, James ‘Gruff’ Gushnowski. Gushnowski was born and raised in the small community of Innisfree, located about an hour and a half east of Edmonton, ...
- Kimto Stage At Waterworks Theatre Brings In Kevin Roy Wetaskiwin and region is whirling in first class entertainment this summer; Loonstock, the RCMP Musical Ride, NASCAR racing, Jay Semko and Punchdrunk concert, Tour of Alberta, Wetaskiwin’s Summer Showcase, the RAM Harvest ...
- Playhouse For Fun The Millet & District Lions Club of Millet, like many other non-profit organizations in our area, raise funds for community projects. Over the past few months, the Lions Club has been at various events selling raffle tickets ...
- City Of Leduc More Dynamic Than Ever! The Annual Leduc Community Registration Day is an informative and fun day for the entire family. This year was no different. Hundreds of Leduc and area families converged in the Leduc Recreation Centre (LRC) on Saturday, ...
- Parade Of Programs Kick Starts Fall And Winter Season On Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 the Wetaskiwin Drill Hall was a flurry of activity as community groups representing athletic clubs, arts, culture and educational opportunities were displaying their products and services. ...
- Edward Wolfe Leduc can trace its earliest roots to individuals looking for a new start, and as a place that opened its arms and welcomed people from all over the world. At first, it was a refuge for early homesteaders seeking an opportunity ...
- Salvation Army Outdoors The Wetaskiwin Corps of the Salvation Army held its church service as well as its annual BBQ and Corn Roast in the beautiful outdoor setting of the Lions' Campground on the last day of August. It was well attended by Salvation ...
- Calmar Burger Bar - Gone For Now! The Burger Bar has been an icon on the main street of Calmar for decades and is known far and wide for its delicious burgers, green gravy (yes green!) and favorite fast food eatery for many of Calmar’s local residents. Fear ...
- Sears Kids Cancer Ride Comes to Leduc On Sunday morning, September 10th, a little before 9:30am, a group of cyclists were greeted by Shawn Nawaz and his family, owner of the Leduc Sears Hometown store. They were part of the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride that ...
- New Sarepta Demolition Derby On Sunday, September 7, 2014 in New Sarepta, a demolition derby in support of minor hockey entertained 1600 spectators despite Mother Nature’s grumpy mood. They were prepared for hard fun and did not care about a little rain. ...