Churches of Leduc

Peace Lutheran 1936

 

    In the mid 1750’s Anthony Henday returned to York with tales about his journeys to the west. He had volunteered to explore the lands to the west in hope of improving his image. Henday had been a fisherman, net-maker, and a general laborer. What the Hudson Bay didn’t know when they hired him was he had been outlawed as a smuggler and had come west to escape a trial.
    By the end of his travels Henday had penetrated deeper into the west than any other explorer and contributed much of Hudson Bay’s knowledge of the lands it claimed and the First Nations peoples who inhabited them. It would be this knowledge that would drift back to the east and encourage others to follow his trail.
    By the middle of the 1800’s a number of churches had established missions among First Nations cultures. The first missionaries to come were Oblates of Mary Immaculate soon followed by efforts by Anglican and Methodists missionaries.
    By the 1890’s the churches began to address the influx of homesteaders from the USA and Europe. Father Leduc would be instrumental in the establishing the first church for Leduc when St Benedict’s opened its doors in 1896. The church would serve Leduc residents until the 1920’s when the need for a bigger church was recognized and St Benedict’s would be replaced, in 1930, by St Michael’s built near the church’s original site. 
    Eventually St. Benedict’s would be dismantled with much of the material being used in the construction of the Peace Lutheran Church in 1936.
    Father Leduc’s efforts drew the interests of other churches and their missionaries. Alexander McDonald would hold Baptist services in the log cabin of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Hamilton, before seeing the construction of the Leduc Baptist Church in 1903. To fund the building of the church Rev. McDonald mortgaged his own home. In 1907 to recognize his efforts the Baptists of Edmonton build the McDonald Memorial Church. In 1943 the church changed its name from Second to Temple. Unfortunately the original Leduc Temple Baptist Church was destroyed by fire in June 1950, a few months before the Leduc Hotel explosion. The church was rebuilt and dedicated in the spring of 1951. In 1980 the church moved to its current location in Southfork.
    1898 saw the establishment of one of the first “United” Churches when the Methodist and the Presbyterian congregations working under the guidance of Rev. Dr. David G. McQueen built a church in Clearwater and St David’s in Leduc.  It would take the Methodist and Presbyterian Churches until 1911 to officially join to become the United Church, but the members living in Leduc had already realized that they had far more in common and the benefits of combining forces to built a church. In 1906 a big imposing man of over six feet stepped off the train with his wife to begin a six-year mission as the minister of St David’s. Rev. T. Thompson Reikie would not allow the mud of the spring or the deep snow of winter to prevent him from making his rounds to Clearwater, Ellerslie, and places in between as well as Leduc. By the time Rev. Reikie left in 1912 he was already recognized as one of the first “United” ministers long before the formal uniting of the churches in 1911.
    In 1900 the St Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church began services in Nisku. That same year a falling tree injured a Mr. John Borys while he was clearing a site for the first Russian-Greek Orthodox Church, St Mary’s, shortly after Rev. Pavlo Tymkiewicz had consecrated the land. 
    Rev. Henry Allan Gray would work in the Conjuring Creek with the English families that had come from Kansas to establish homesteads and over the years other Anglican ministers followed him. Eventually he oversaw the opening of the St. Paul’s Anglican Church in Leduc. Rev. Gray would become Edmonton’s first Anglican Bishop. By 1904 the St Paul Anglican Church had joined the growing number of churches serving the residents of Leduc and area.
    Today Leduc has over a dozen churches and with the rapid growth in population with people coming from all over the world there is little doubt that even more religious groups will develop their places of worship. They may start, like our forefathers did in the homes of settlers, but eventually, as their numbers grow they will find the opportunity to build a permanent place to worship and join the community of Leduc’s churches. 

More Stories:
  • Millet-Calmar Daughter: A TedX Speaker Raised ten miles west of Millet on a game farm, then a student at New Humble and Calmar Schools, Michelle Salt, a Vrolyk daughter, admits to being an, “adrenaline junkie.” Growing up, she would cycle far and wide, undaunted ...
  • Millet Non-Profits Get A Boost The Honourable Verlyn Olson was in Millet on Monday, November 10, 2014 to give three non-profit groups a grant from the Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP) to help with the costs of planning, upgrading and developing ...
  • COPS...Revitalized Citizens on Patrol has been put on the side lines for over six years and now is on a comeback. Because citizens care. Our community is overall a safe and secure place to live, however, every once in a while disruption and ...
  • Wetaskiwin Quilters Giving Labours Of Love For 15 Years The Wetaskiwin Quilters Group is a social organization, but the love of quilting is the reason approximately 18 ladies have been meeting twice a month since 1999 to share their passion. As well as making and donating 50-80 ...
  • “Get-A-Long” To Ag Hall Of Fame The 2014 Wetaskiwin Agricultural Society Hall of Fame Inductees are Dennis and Shelly Ericson of Get-A-Long Stock Farm in acknowledgement of Dennis’ outstanding career across Canada and internationally as a cattle sale ring ...
  • A Seniors’ Champion Among Us Many seniors in the City of Leduc - and former colleagues- remember this vivacious and caring lady who was the city’s Seniors Outreach Coordinator for many years; a vital position in a caring metropolis where the seniors’ ...
  • Gossamer Feast & Pest Control The Millet & District Recreational & Agricultural Society held their annual Dessert Theatre, with guest performers from the Leduc Drama Society. The audience this year was not only entertained by one performance, but two. ...
  • The Ongoing Work Of Poppies & Millet Maps 44 Veterans During the weeks prior to November 11, the day we set aside to honour and remember, we see hundreds of poppies everywhere. For any size of a donation, you can purchase a poppy to wear and display your support. Money donated ...
  • Coal Lake Lighthorse 4H Club By Sara Nelson and Janine Tatlow, Club Reporters Coal Lake Lighthorse 4H Club It’s another start to a new year of 4H, and wow has it been great! Coal Lake Lighthorse started the year off with a meeting on October 3, 2014, ...
  • Spirit of Giving Strong In Leduc On Friday, November 14, the Leduc & District Chamber of Commerce hosted its Annual ‘Spirit Of Giving’ Luncheon. Close to three hundred regional business people gathered to celebrate the Festive Season and to collectively ...
  • Falun East Beef 4-H Club Update On September 24, 2014, 15 members of the Falun East 4-H Beef Club met up for their first meeting of the year. 15 bright, and joyful members met up in hopes of having a great season with their steer and also their club. The ...
  • Wetaskiwin Youth Respect Veterans When I (Barry McDonald) met Lindsay Yargeau, representative of the youth of Wetaskiwin, at the Remembrance Day ceremonies and chatted with her about her views of Remembrance Day and what the event meant to youth in Wetaskiwin ...
  • Millet Remembers With 400 Strong The Honour Guard led the parade through Millet streets down to the Cenotaph, after a meaningful Remembrance Day Service which filled the Griffiths-Scott school gymnasium. Participants included the Wetaskiwin Air Cadets, RCMP ...
  • Stories Of Remembrance - Warburg The 2014 Royal Canadian Legion Branch # 205—Warburg Remembrance Day Service was held in the Community Hall with Legion President Ralph van Assen, Pastor Glen McBride, Pianist Caroline McDonald, Service Officer Frank Moar, ...
  • Telford House Christmas Craft Sale The Annual Telford House Christmas Craft Sale was held on Saturday and Sunday, November 15th and 16th. Telford House was filled with booths and displays of various artisans from Leduc and area. Quilting, woodcrafts, toques ...
  • 2 Accounts Of Leduc’s Remembrance Day Tom Dirsa It was just before 11am when Iain Weikl, President of the Leduc Canadian Legion Post #108, stood in front of the Cenotaph and invited the large standing crowd to participate in remembering those who served and are ...
  • Flags Of Remembrance In Sylvan Lake In Sylvan Lake, a thriving community south of Leduc, an event was created this year by Veteran Voices of Canada (VVC) and its founder Al Cameron, to honor Canadian veterans. The Flags of Remembrance was a proud display of ...
  • Edmonton Icon Gone Forever Since January 1958, the Edmonton Petroleum Club has been a shiny, chic element of the capital’s cultural fabric. An imposing structure, it sits on a large property near Kingsway Garden Mall, rich in tall spruce trees and ...
  • 7th Annual Christmas In Mulhurst Bay On December 6th and 7th, 2014 Mulhurst Bay will be holding the 7th year of ‘Christmas in Mulhurst Bay’. This event involves five homes on the Christmas tour and a Christmas craft sale. The craft sale is held at the Mulhurst ...
  • Wetaskiwin FCSS Women’s Conference The well attended 8th Annual City of Wetaskiwin Women’s Conference once again provided an interesting and informative day covering a number of areas that contribute to health and a sense of well-being. The seating at round ...




 
  • Leduc Radio Ad
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia