Liba puts Warburg on the Map
Russell Liba started his racing career in 1981. He raced in Alberta with the N.W.S.A. (Northwestern Snowmobile Association) for 10 years winning many yearend points championships.
In 1988 the decision was made to attend the World Championships in Eagle River Wisconsin. Russell placed 3rd in Sprint class. While in Eagle River in 1990 he was hurt in a crash and never returned until now.
In 1988 he decided to venture to Beausejour, Manitoba for the Canadian Power Toboggan Championships. He won 4 1st and 1 2nd . It was his first experience at the Big Leagues!!
Ice Oval racing ended in Alberta in 1993 so Liba Racing started Ice, Grass, and snow dragging in Alberta , Saskatchewan and into the United States. In 2008 Pavement dragging snowmobiles at Castrol Raceway and Drayton Valley became the new challenge,winning Bike/sled class at Drayton Valley’s Thunder in the Valley 2011.
Russell’s son Warren has always dreamt of racing Ice Ovals with his dad, so in 2011 they began building the current 1982 IFS Vintage 340 and 440 sleds. With chassis owned by K&C Bit service ( Ken Adair) and engines owned by Liba Racing and with a lot of hard work and dedication they now have two very beautiful and very competitive sleds.
March 2013 Russell won the Jerry Bunke Memorial Award in Beausejour Manitoba. Russell and Warren now felt they were ready to attempt the World Championships again. Plans were made to go to Ironwood Michigan and then to Eagle River Wisconsin, in January 2014. Due to other obligations Warren was unable to attend so Russell, his wife Joanne and friend Kevin Weisner of Leduc made the trip.
They left New Years day and after -30 c weather and truck problems, finally arrived in Ironwood 3 days later 7:30 am Friday morning just in time for practice!! First time on the sleds this year everyone was a little nervous. All went very well. Russ won 4 firsts that weekend.
The next Weekend was Eagle River Wisconsin Vintage World Championships January 11-12.The track is a banked ice oval. The only one Russell has ever raced on. Practice went well and on Friday and Saturday he qualified for all 5 classes.
On Sunday he won his first world championship in the IFS Masters 340 class. All the riders have to be over 50 years old.
Russell also won another 1st in IFSX 340 and a 3rd in IFS 340 after a collision, a 2nd. in 440 IFSX and a 3rd. in 440 IFS. He made the podium in all 5 classes racing against men and a girl that are all half his age!
Russell has received an enormous amount of support, encouragement and recognition on the internet through the Liba Racing face book group. The racing world now knows about Liba racing and where Warburg Alberta is. The whole team will be attending the last race of the year in Beausejour Manitoba March 1&2. Good Luck to Russell and Warren.
- CTK Grabs Lead! The Christ the King (CTK) girls’ volleyball team have insured themselves of a playoff spot in the Metro Edmonton High School Association’s Division 3. A victory over St. Joseph this week would see the Chargers finish first ...
- Breton Stumbles On Monday, October 13th proved to be an unlucky day for the Bret-on Cougars. Needing a victory over the Buck Mountain Mustangs to gain a play-off spot, the team came up short. Earlier in the season the Cougars had defeated ...
- Football Roundup An improved Breton Cougar team visited the Rimbey Spartans on Monday, October 6th for a league game. In September, the Spartans had visited the Cougars and completely swamped Breton 72 to 12. The number two provincial ranked ...
- Leduc Tigers Roar Back! On Tuesday, October 7th, the Leduc Comp Boys Volleyball Team proved the expression that when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Down two matches to none against the Ardrossan Bison, and trailing 24 to 21 in the third ...
- Ice Sledge Hockey Women’s National Training Camp The Canadian Women’s Sledge Hockey Team met in Leduc, Alberta, October 10th to the 13th, 2014, for a four day national training camp to prepare for the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Ice Sledge Hockey Women’s International ...