Liba puts Warburg on the Map
Russell Liba started his racing career in 1981. He raced in Alberta with the N.W.S.A. (Northwestern Snowmobile Association) for 10 years winning many yearend points championships.
In 1988 the decision was made to attend the World Championships in Eagle River Wisconsin. Russell placed 3rd in Sprint class. While in Eagle River in 1990 he was hurt in a crash and never returned until now.
In 1988 he decided to venture to Beausejour, Manitoba for the Canadian Power Toboggan Championships. He won 4 1st and 1 2nd . It was his first experience at the Big Leagues!!
Ice Oval racing ended in Alberta in 1993 so Liba Racing started Ice, Grass, and snow dragging in Alberta , Saskatchewan and into the United States. In 2008 Pavement dragging snowmobiles at Castrol Raceway and Drayton Valley became the new challenge,winning Bike/sled class at Drayton Valley’s Thunder in the Valley 2011.
Russell’s son Warren has always dreamt of racing Ice Ovals with his dad, so in 2011 they began building the current 1982 IFS Vintage 340 and 440 sleds. With chassis owned by K&C Bit service ( Ken Adair) and engines owned by Liba Racing and with a lot of hard work and dedication they now have two very beautiful and very competitive sleds.
March 2013 Russell won the Jerry Bunke Memorial Award in Beausejour Manitoba. Russell and Warren now felt they were ready to attempt the World Championships again. Plans were made to go to Ironwood Michigan and then to Eagle River Wisconsin, in January 2014. Due to other obligations Warren was unable to attend so Russell, his wife Joanne and friend Kevin Weisner of Leduc made the trip.
They left New Years day and after -30 c weather and truck problems, finally arrived in Ironwood 3 days later 7:30 am Friday morning just in time for practice!! First time on the sleds this year everyone was a little nervous. All went very well. Russ won 4 firsts that weekend.
The next Weekend was Eagle River Wisconsin Vintage World Championships January 11-12.The track is a banked ice oval. The only one Russell has ever raced on. Practice went well and on Friday and Saturday he qualified for all 5 classes.
On Sunday he won his first world championship in the IFS Masters 340 class. All the riders have to be over 50 years old.
Russell also won another 1st in IFSX 340 and a 3rd in IFS 340 after a collision, a 2nd. in 440 IFSX and a 3rd. in 440 IFS. He made the podium in all 5 classes racing against men and a girl that are all half his age!
Russell has received an enormous amount of support, encouragement and recognition on the internet through the Liba Racing face book group. The racing world now knows about Liba racing and where Warburg Alberta is. The whole team will be attending the last race of the year in Beausejour Manitoba March 1&2. Good Luck to Russell and Warren.
- Wetaskiwin Horseshoe Tournament 2014 The Wetaskiwin Horseshoe Club held a very successful tournament with 33 horseshoe pitchers registered to compete, more than at any of this year's previous club tournaments. Participants came from across the province, from ...
- High School Football Season Begins The high school football season kicked off this week with the Breton 6 man team travelling to Sherwood Park to take on the Millwoods Christian Royals on Friday, August 29th. This will be a good test for both teams as Millwoods ...
- Alberta Rocks! For the past 23 years, the Alberta Curling Federation has hosted a summer camp for junior curlers between the ages of twelve and seventeen. The first camp was held in Irma, and saw ten curlers in attendance. Since that time, ...
- MMH Memorial Street Hockey Tournament Helping Kids More kids will be able to get off the sidelines thanks to the family and friends of a local athlete who lost his life two years ago. Last week, family and friends of Mark Hayduk presented Rachel Yeung, a representative for ...
- Local Football Talent To Play In U.S. Submitted by Nancy Jones Liam Jones will be attending a college prep school in St. Catharines, Ontario this year. His plane departs on August 15th and he is excited for the season to get started. "I really want to take my ...