Improvement to Districts in Leduc County


    When settlers first stepped off the train at the Leduc station in 1891 they saw the wild prairies and little else. There were no roads, no schools, and in fact very few buildings. To reach their homestead they often followed game trails or paths established by First Nations people. The only form of order established by the Northwest Territorial Government was the development of herd, statute labor, and fire districts. In 1897 the districts were amalgamated into local improvement districts. These districts were typically composed of a township of 36 sections of land. The prime purposes of these districts were the building and maintaining of roads, management of fires and noxious fumes, and management of animals.
    In 1903 the districts were expanded to accommodate from 3 to 6 townships. The new province of Alberta passed the Rural Municipality Act in 1912 that allowed 9 townships to join for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as they had one person per mile living within its borders.  
    After World War I the province required that all local Improvement districts become municipality districts (MD) and the area saw three districts created in the area; Blackwood $488, Liberty #489, and Pioneer #490. Then in 1944 the three joined to become the Municipality of Leduc #489 a year later the district was renumbered to #75. This new MD had expanded to 40 townships and included communities as far west as Warburg and as far east as New Sarepta.
    The new enlarged MD needed office space and in 1944 bought the old Leduc Motors building located on 49th Avenue and 48th Street. The building had been constructed in 1925 and was used by Leduc Motors until it was sold to the MD. The building would be reconfigured to accommodate office space for the MD and the second floor was used as a courtroom and a law office for D.P. McLeod. 
    The MD would remain at that location until the end of 1963 when the MD was replaced with the birth of the County of Leduc #25. Today the building continues to serve the residents of Leduc. First as commercial space and then in 1968 it became home for the current Smyth Medical Clinic. 
    The birth of the county also saw the various school boards in the area dissolved and absorbed by Leduc County. Over time the various school boards would regain their independence, but in 1995 the Alberta government would again reconsolidate the various school districts that had been developed within Leduc County’s borders into one school division called Black Gold. The long association between these two government bodies remains today as they both host their offices in the same building in Nisku.
    Today Leduc County has seen a number of municipalities both within its borders and beyond wishing to absorb parts of the County. After fifty years the future could see the County once again change to meet the new conditions of the day

More Stories:
  • The Old Car Detective Father and son with 1959 Cadillac hardtop     Jamal Salam of Mississauga, Ontario, owns an American icon, a 1959 Cadillac two-door hardtop with the biggest tailfins in town!  His Series 6337 Coupe de Ville came from Arizona ...
  • Why Annexation?     One of the questions that was asked at an Edmonton informational session last week has stuck in this reporters mind. The question was a simple one “What is the need to annex since the people remain the same regardless ...
  • “We’ve a Lot of Work to Do”     Those were the words from Tim Brockelsby, a Senior Planner for the City of Edmonton, at the conclusion of Edmonton’s second of five planned conversations with Leduc residents affected by Edmonton’s proposed annexation ...
  • Leduc Rural Crime Watch Award Cst. Mcfarlene, President Cor De Wit, Mayor Whaley.      The Farmers’ Advocate Office (FAO) has announced that the Leduc Rural Crime Watch Association has been awarded their 2013 Award for Excellence.      The award was established ...
  • 13,000 HOUR DONATION Executive Director, Petra Pfeiffer, thanks Jeannie Blakely on Appreciation evening. Whenever there is a crime or tragedy, there is a victim.           The word ‘victim’ does not adequately describe the complexity of circumstances ...
  • RURAL CRIME WATCH     The organization had been undergoing a serious decline in interest until the fall of 2011 and spring of 2012 when the community experienced a rash of break-ins and thefts. Membership spiked and with increased monitoring ...
  • Wetaskiwin Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast  City of Wetaskiwin Mayor Bill Elliot shows the ribbon shirt which was given to him by Laron Northwest on behalf of the Samson Cree Nation and Maskwacis.     Wetaskiwin's 23rd Annual Mayor's Prayer Breakfast was held at ...
  • Kids Making a Difference The 19th annual Leaders of Tomorrow Awards Program for Wetaskiwin and area was held at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum the evening of April 7th.  This is a program to recognize the good kids who are making a positive difference ...
  • Leduc City Citizens of Distinction     Annual ceremony hosted during Leduc’s Volunteer Appreciation Banquet.     The City of Leduc is pleased to announce the following recipients of the 2013 Citizens of Distinction Awards: Brianna Day  Athletic Achievement ...
  • Lakedell 4-H Beef Club     Our club has been keeping busy. In February we had our beef supper on valentines day with a great turn out. On the 15th our club attended the Red Deer Rebels game. We also had Public speaking on the 28th. All members ...
  • Spring Fling Mercedez Swallow creates a spotted puppy at the Spring Fling trade fair in the Wetaskiwin Drill Hall.      Wetaskiwin Chamber of Commerce hosts new features - Hosting successful events has challenges. But observing a steady ...




 
  • Leduc Radio Ad
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia
  • Industrial Netmedia