Stelmach’s Resignation: MLA, George Rogers Responds
Vol 15, Issue 5, Leduc - Wetaskiwin Pipestone Flyer
After a surprise announcement that Premier Ed Stelmach is stepping down from office, local MLA George Rogers says we all owe the man a “debt of gratitude.
In an email interview with George Rogers while he was in Calgary the week of the announcement, Rogers said the news came out of the blue.
“I was very surprised by the announcement, but can appreciate all the pressure the premier has been under,” said Rogers. “ I believe we all owe him a debt of gratitude for his 25 years of service with great integrity.”
Now that the job will soon be vacant, does Rogers have any ambition to run for the job?
“I currently have no plans to run,” he said. “Nor do I plan to come out in support of any candidate until I have had a good chance to look at who comes forward for the job.”
In the last leadership campaign Rogers threw his support behind candidate Jim Dinning.
Rogers is also concerned the PC party does not take any drastic moves to the right.
“It is my hope that the party does not take a sharp move to the right, as I favour a slightly "right of center" option as we have today,” he said. “Any drastic move to the right would not appeal to me; as I don't believe that is where most Albertans are.
The same questions that were emailed to Mr. Rogers were also sent to area MLA's Verlyn Olson and Diana McQueen, but they did not respond by press time.
Reaction to Premier Stelmach's resignation has been coming in from various people like Prime Minster Stephen Harper and Alberta Leader of the Official Opposition David Swan.
Harper said since Stelmach entered into politics 20 years ago, he has established himself as a hard-working and loyal advocate of Alberta and it people.
“I have worked with the Premier over the past five years to take on the challenges and responsibilities of stimulating the economy and protecting jobs and countering the effects of the worst recession since the Second World War,” said Harper. “Whether at home or abroad, Premier Stelmach has worked tirelessly to promote Alberta as a destination for newcomers and new businesses. I offer my sincere gratitude to Premier Stelmach for serving Albertans these past years, and I wish him the very best in his future endeavors.”
David Swann, Leader of the Official Opposition thanked Premier Stelmach for his 25 years of service but said the business of government must go on.
“His announcement isn't entirely a surprise, but I want to take this opportunity to remind all of my colleagues in the Legislature that Albertans can't wait for real results on pressing issues,” he said. “We cannot allow this civil war between conservative factions to distract us from timely action for all Albertans on health care, education and the economy.”
- MA Rejects Request For Thorsby Municipal Inspection Following a petition signed by 200 Thorsby residents, Municipal Affairs (MA) interviews with key people, and an analysis of information the village is required to annually submit to the ministry, MA has rejected the request ...
- Kids Get Support To Tackle Tough Issues, Make Positive Choices Submitted by www.pm.gc.ca/media Anti-crime programs that focus on gangs, bullying, drugs and internet safety will help young people in Alberta sort facts from fiction. The most recent Civil Forfeiture Fund (CFF) grants support ...
- Prime Minister Harper Points Us To Remember The Raid On Dieppe Submitted by The Prime Minister’s Office Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement to mark the 72nd anniversary of the Raid on Dieppe: “On August 19, 1942, nearly 5,000 Canadian troops, along with ...
- Thorsby Council Approves Strategic Plan Submitted by Jason Gariepy, Village of Thorsby Following the municipal by-election on June 5th and throughout most of July, the Village of Thorsby Council has been busy working on setting goals and priorities for its 2014-17 ...
- What is Leduc’s Community Character? Mayor’s Letter Submitted by City of Leduc Last month the city shared its new Leduc Strategic Plan 2014 – 2018 along with the goals and outcomes. One of the new and unique facets of this plan is the goal of ‘Community Character’ ...