Town of Calmar - Council Meeting, January 17th, 2011
- Grace Brown - Head Organizer/Coordinator
- Karlie Bateman - Committee Rep
- Alaura Gartner - Community Rep
The ladies made a request to Council for a $300 donation to purchase food and beverages for the 2011 Youth Unite Forum. The Youth Forum is a program in which youth can make new friends, attend workshops, and hear special speakers. Councillor Borodawka moved that $300 be donated to Youth Unite for the 2011 Forum.
Debbie Bishop provided correspondence of Ackroyd LLP. Bishop requested that Council contact Municipal Affairs to set up mediation talks for the residents affected by the abandoned well located in Evergreen Crescent. She also suggested that Council contact Alberta's Heartland Land Trust Society to make a presentation to Council and assist in finding a resolution for the residents.
Mayor Faulkner thanked Ms. Bishop for her presentation, and that they would be advised as to when the Town would make comment.
Director of Finance Storey presented correspondence in regard to rewriting the water bylaw to make landlords responsible for the utility bill for rental properties. Councilllor Wiancko moved that Administration prepare the new utility bylaw with recommendations from Council and bring it back to Council.
Leduc & District victims Services invite Council to attend a stakeholders consultation on January 21. Councillor Wiancko stated that he would attend.
Director of Finance Storey presented Council with correspondence regarding adopting the 2010 Operating Budget as the 2011 Interim Operating Budget pursuant to the Municipal Government Act as the final budget was not adopted by December 31, 2010. Councillor Bartlett made a motion that the 2010 Operating Budget be adopted as the 2011 Interim Operating Budget.
Director of Finance Storey provided correspondence in regard to accepting a quote from Meyers Norris Penny LLP for audit services for 2011 through 2013. Councillor Bartlett moved to accept the Audit Fee Quotation of Mayers Norris Penny LLP for audit services for 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Invitations to Calmar Council to attend the St. Albert Chamber of Commerce Chamber Gala to be held on January 29 and the State of the City Luncheon on February 9. As Council has a previous engagements on both dates, Mayor Faulkner directed Administration to decline the invitation, but send a thank you note.
Correspondence was presented from Leduc Foundation requesting funding assistance in the amount of $76 for transportation services to seniors and people with disabilities throughout Leduc County. Councillor Wiancko made a motion to support the Leduc Foundation's request.
Bylaw #2011-01 - Temporary Borrowing
Councillor Bartlett moved that Bylaw #2011-01 be given first reading. Councillor Borodawka moved the bylaw receive second reading, and that permission be granted for the presentation of the Bylaw for all three readings. Councillor Yachimetz moved that Bylaw #2010-01 be given third reading.
Bylaw #2011-02 - Electronic Funds Transfer
Councillor Wiancko moved that said bylaw be given first reading, Councillor Borodawka moved for second reading, and Councillor Yachimetz moved the bylaw be given third reading.
Bylaw #2010-03 - MasterCard Guarantee
Councillor Bartlett moved that Bylaw 2010-03 be given first reading, Councillor Yachimetz moved for second reading, and Councillor Wiancko made a motion for third reading of the bylaw.
- Leduc Chamber Welcomes Regional Candidates On Friday, April 10, the Leduc Regional Chamber of Commerce team welcomed more than 150 guests at its monthly luncheon, hosted this month at Red Tail Landing. Jennifer Garries, Chamber executive director, delivered ...
- Open House For George Rogers On Saturday, April 11th Progressive Conservative candidate George Rogers held an Open House at his new headquarters located at #2 4913 52nd Avenue from 1 to 4pm. Mr. Rogers is seeking his fourth term as MLA for the Leduc-Beaumont ...
- Candidates Olson, Hinkley & Rock Of Wetaskiwin-Camrose Race NDP candidate, Bruce Hinkley, Wildrose candidate, Bill Rock and MLA Verlyn Olson have announced they are entering the race to represent the Wetaskiwin-Camrose constituency in the May 5th provincial election. Although ...
- Is This The Year? In 1967 when we arrived in Alberta to begin a teaching career, the party in power was the Social Credit. They had been in power since 1935 and would hold on until 1971 when the Progressive Conservatives (PCs) led by Peter ...
- Alberta Heading To The Polls May 5th, 2015 After months of speculation, Alberta’s “worst-kept secret” has been revealed: A provincial election has been officially announced! On Tuesday, April 7th at 10:30am, the Premier of Alberta Jim Prentice was joined by ...
- Spring Showcase (Trade Show) Rapidly Approaching It may only be the 2nd annual, but following the inaugural 2014 Spring Showcase & FEASTival, the event has taken a dramatic growth spurt for 2015. More than seventy-seven exhibitors will be showcasing their products and ...
- MLA Diana McQueen Explains New Health Care Levy submitted from Diana McQueen’s Office Dear Constituents: I wanted to give you and update on the new Health care levy that some of you have asked me about. When Alberta’s finance minister tabled Budget 2015 at the ...
- Twinning Of Highway 19 It was no April Fool’s joke when after years of lobbying by local politicians, Albeta Premier Jim Prentice announced last week that the twinning of Highway 19 would begin. Gathering with a number of local business ...