Leduc County Council Notes - March 8, 2011
The meeting was called to order at the usual time of 1:30 p.m. by Mayor John Whaley.
Mayor John Whaley presented Marvin Molzan, Vern Siemens and Mary-Ann McDonald were each presented with certificates and gifts in recognition of their past service of public duties to the Leduc County as Councillors/Mayor.
Councillor John Schonewille stated that he thought the County should have an alternate to the Leduc-Nisku Economic Development Authority Board, and moved that Councilllor Mackay be appointed.
Budget Meeting Dates
Councillor Stumph made a motion that the following schedule be established for the 2012 Budget meetings:
• Monday, November 28, 2011 - 9:30 to 12:00 and 1:30 to 4:30
• Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 9:30 to 12:00 and 1:30 to 4:30
• Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 9:30 to 12:00 and 1:30 to 4:30
• Thursday, December 1, 2011 - 1:30 to 4:30
• Monday, December 5, 2011 - 9:30 to 12:00 and 1:30 to 4:30
• Wednesday, december 7, 2011 - 9:30 to 11:30.
And further that Public at Large - 2012 Budget Packages (which include 2012-2014 budget Package and Major Projects/Capital Plan and Public Works Maps & Costings) will be dispersed as follows:
• Advertise meeting dates: Any Public at Large who wish to attend meetings and wish to obtain a "Public Version" of 2012 Budget Package must place a request in writing prior to November 1, 2011; and that the advertising be for three consecutive weeks and concurrently posted on the Leduc County website;
• Packages will be available to pick-up November 18, 2011 at County Centre;
• Finance Staff will also prepare a minimum of 5 copies of "Public Version" budget for walk-in public, but copies must remain within Council Chamber.
Councillor Schonewille moved that the Budget 2012 Process be approved as presented.
New Sarepta Financial Statements
Councillor Mackay moved that the Village of New Sarepta Financial Statements dated August 31, 2010 have been prepared and reviewed by All Scherbarth Professional Corporation, be received as information.
Councillor Harrison moved that Council confirm the appointment of John Schonewille as the Leduc County representative on the Regional Assessment Review Board for a term of three years, expiring 2012; and that Mary-Ann McDonald be confirmed as the alternate member.
County Owned Right of Way
Previously the CPR line, the County owned Right of Way land running west of Sunnybrook to Range Road 40, is presently closed to the public. Council discussed consulting the public to see if there is interest in opening up this area for use, then bring information back to Council. Councillor Harrison moved that Council adopt the Strategy for Public Engagement regarding the County owned Right of Way.
Public Hearing - Highway 19 Area Structure Plan
Mayor Whaley called the Public Hearing to order. Mr. Sylvain Losier, Manager of Long Range Planning, provided the following information:
• The revised draft Highway 19 ASP was completed and referred out to the public and external agencies on January 28, 2011;
• Administration held a special meeting for selected regional stakeholders on February 2, 2011 to discuss the revised draft ASP; an open house was also held on February 23, 2011, at the Nisku Inn to provide an opportunity for stakeholders and the public to ask questions and become acquainted with the revised draft ASP;
• Public Hearing advertisements for the Highway 19 ASP were published during the third and fourth weeks of February 2011, in the Leduc Representative, the Devon Dispatch and the Pipestone Flyer;
• Notices of the Public Hearing for the Highway 19 ASP were mailed to landowners within the plan area and posted on the County website;
• A total of three submissions were received from the City of Leduc, Remington Development Corporation/Focus and Alberta Transportation; these submissions were received by the referral deadline and have been attached for Council's review
• In working with the County's regional partners and with the Capital Region Board Administration recently, the following issues with the Highway 19 ASP have been raised with County Administration: protecting right-of-way for future LRT; concern of having the Logistics and Distribution overlay along the Highway 2 corridor; the need for an overall stormwater management plan for Highway 19; the need to address off-site water and wastewater impacts; outlining the right-of-way requirements for the CRSWSC line twinning; depicting the Capital Region Growth Plan's transit corridor along Highway 2;
• Feedback from the Edmonton International Airport is still outstanding; a response from this stakeholder is needed before Administration can provide Council with any recommended strategy regarding the issues noted, and any additional issues that may be raised;
• Late submissions were received from the City of Edmonton and from Tina Mix which were read aloud by Mr. Brian Bowles.
Mr. Losier recommended that the Public Hearing for the Highway 19 ASP be recessed until March 24, 2011 in order to allow Administration time to evaluate all referral responses, the formal feedback from Capital Region Board Administration and City of Edmonton, and the forthcoming letter from Edmonton Airports.
Mayor Whaley called upon Russell Dauk, Vice President, Rohit Group, to speak to the draft Highway 19 ASP. Dauk provided the following information:
• in support of development going forward as well as the County's intent for use of this corridor
• working close with Remington on the park development in the area adjacent to the highway
• would like to see development standards reviewed
• agree with response received from Focus Engineering
• unable to provide any further comments at this point until they see responses from Alberta Transportation and Capital Region.
Mr. Sandy Menzies, Remington Corporation, provided the following comments:
• submission from Remington Corporation addresses issues
• there are significant strides made in last draft ASP which deals with their concerns
• would like to request the opportunity to speak again at the next Public Hearing.
Delia Tardiff commented that she supports the recommendation to recess the Public Hearing until all formal responses are received. Mary-Ann McDonald spoke in support of the ASP, and encourages Council to consider the environment and what's best for the future.
Councillor Schonewille moved that the Public Hearing for the Highway 19 Area Structure Plan be recessed until the March 24, 2011 Special Council meeting at 2 p.m.
Beaver Hills Initiative
After a short recess, Council reconvened and Councillor Mackay moved that Council accept the Beaver Hills Initiative Subdivision Design Information Sheet, and that Council direct Administration to make the Subdivision Design Information Sheet available to applicants for subdivision or development in that part of the County which lies within the Beaver Hills Moraine.
Edmonton International Airport Draft Master Plan 2010-2035 Councillor Schonewille moved that Council receive this report as information and advise Edmonton Airports that while Leduc County Council supports the EIA Draft Master Plan 2010-2035 in principle, it requests Edmonton Airports to work with the County to address various issues as outlined in the staff report.
Councillor Kelto moved that the request to purchase lands from Leduc County, Plan 3079 TR, Lots 2,3,4, and 5 be denied.
- Council Notes From All Over MILLET TOWN COUNCIL NOTES Stacie McKinney Council was called to order at 6:00 pm, February 26, 2014 by Mayor Lorenson. Public Hearings – None Additions and Adoption of Agenda: Willy Sissau – Resident ...
- Council Notes From All Over CITY OF WETASKIWIN Barry McDonald Kevin Lucas, Director of Community Services Arenas •Monitored snow load on both roofs. Some deflection was noted but remained within tolerance. •Icemen out of playoff run. Will not need to ...