• 2 ½ cups all-purpose gluten free flour
• ¾ tsp. xanthan gum (*see note)
• 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
• 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
• ¼ tsp. ground allspice
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 ¼ cups sugar
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
• ½ cup melted unsalted butter (or oil)
• 3 cups finely shredded carrots (from about 1 lb. carrots)
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
• 5 Tbsp. butter, softened to room temperature
• 2 ½ – 3 cups powdered sugar
• 2 Tbsp. heavy cream or half-and-half
• 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray, I used a glass Pyrex pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whist together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat sugar, brown sugar and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
4. Reduce speed to low, and slowly add the applesauce, oil, and melted butter. Mix on high for one minute, or until mixture is well mixed and light in colour.
5. Turn off mixer and stir in by hand the carrots and dry ingredients until no loose flour remains.
6. Pour into greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean (mine took 37 minutes).
7. Let cake cool, in pan, on a wire rack.
When cake is cool, mix up cream cheese icing:
1. In a mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the softened cream cheese and butter for 3 minutes, or until soft, creamy and combined thoroughly.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until well mixed.
3. Add the heavy cream or half-and-half, and pure vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add an additional ½ to 1 cup of powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired thickness and taste.
5. Use a spatula or icing knife to spread frosting evenly over cooled cake. Slice into 15 large slices, or you can cut smaller slices if you prefer.
• Xanthan gum: omit this if your flour blend contains guar gum or xanthan gum already.