On Wednesday, August 28th at approximately 12:15pm the residents of the Southfork subdivision heard the sounds of a fire engine as it made its way down Southfork Drive to Simmonds Way. Quickly the firefighters donned their equipment, including gas masks, and began to knock on doors to evacuate a number of homes.
Apparently a builder had accidently punched a high-pressure gas line, just below the gas meter of the home on 298 Simmonds Way, causing a major gas leak. While ATCO repaired the leak the RCMP and Leduc firefighters did an excellent job of alerting residents and evacuated the homes that would have been in danger from the fumes, or should the leak be ignited. Many pets got an extra walk, as homeowners would spend the next hour and a half walking their dogs while the line was repaired.
The street leading into the area was also blocked off causing a detour for the many companies involved in the construction of homes in Southfork subdivision. The repair was completed by 1:45pm and the community was back to normal and traffic resumed as usual.
This was not an example of digging without full knowledge of what lies under the ground. It was a case of digging too close to a known gas line. However, ATCO Gas reminds us to call before you dig and prevent hitting a natural gas line that may be hidden underground.