The Millet Public Library was started in 1953, when three Women’s Institutes joined forces. The Women’s Institutes were: Golden Glow WI, Central Millet WI and the Millet WI. With 150 books purchased from the Sundre Library, 24 donated by Wetaskiwin and the donation of many more books from the residents of Millet & district, the Millet Library was born.
In February of 1954, the library was officially opened in the back room of J.R. Mullen’s Insurance Office which he let them use rent free. Mary Mullen was elected librarian and Margaret Gardiner was the secretary-treasurer.
Fast forward 60 years and now the Millet Public Library is at 5035-49 ave., with Margaret Blackstock as librarian, a staff of 4, a library board, countless volunteers and the Friends of the Millet Library Society.
Thanks to the hard work and dedication of librarians, staff, community groups and volunteers over the last 60 years, not only has the Millet Public Library grown, but it has thrived. It offers a wealth of programs and materials to the residents of Millet and the surrounding area.
A 60th Anniversary Celebration will be held on May 31st, 1-3 at the Millet Public Library. Inside will be displays celebrating the past staff and volunteers. Outside will be a variety of activities to enjoy, including free face painting, the Millet Fire Department, Edmonton International Raceways, live music and Belly Dancers. The Millet & District Lions will also be there with hamburgers and hotdogs.