Leduc RCMP in partnership with Alberta RCMP Traffic – Leduc and City of Leduc Enforcement Services share spook-tacular Hallowe’en safety tips.
On Oct. 31, 2022, RCMP and City of Leduc Enforcement Services will be patrolling the spooky streets to ensure all trick-or-treaters enjoy a safe and fun evening.
Some safety tips with residents to help keep your little super heroes, princesses and pirates safe on Halloween include:
· Wear bright coloured costumes and use reflective tape or glow sticks to be more visible to drivers.
· Use a flashlight and stay in well-lit areas.
· Wear make-up instead of a mask. Masks can impair your vision and hearing. If you wear a mask, remove while walking from house to house and crossing streets.
· Always walk on sidewalks.
· Stay on one side of the street. Safely cross the street to the houses on the other side. Do not crisscross back-and-forth.
· Never go inside the home or car of someone you don’t know.
· Stay on the doorstep or sidewalk. Never enter a stranger’s house or vehicle.
· Have your guardian check your treats before eating them.
· Be accompanied by a trusted adult.
· Travel in groups if you are unsupervised.
Here are some tips for homeowners:
· Keep porch lights or external security lights on.
· Keep doors clear and accessible and avoid decorations that are flammable or can pose a tripping hazard.
· Don’t invite children inside your home.
· Only pass out commercially wrapped candy and snacks.
· Keep pets indoors as they may be easily scared by children in costumes.