Seven locations in Wetaskiwin are currently listed as outbreak locations by the Government of Alberta. According to the provincial government’s specifications, locations of outbreaks in acute care and continuing care facilities, including group homes, are reported publically when there is two or more case that indicate a transmission within the facility has occurred.
Public settings such as restaurants, salons, and gyms as well as child care settings and shelters are listed when there are five or more cases.
Outbreaks are declared over when four weeks have passed since the last case was identified. Not all outbreaks listed by the province on their COVID-19 in Alberta data page have current transmission happening.
The following locations in Wetaskiwin are listed as having an outbreak(s) by the province:
• Wetaskiwin Hospital & Care Centre;
o An outbreak was declared for the Emergency Department on Dec.24, 2020, where there are five cases associated with the outbreak in healthcare workers.
o On Dec.25, 2020, a COVID-19 outbreak was declared for all acute care areas at the site:
• There are currently 19 cases tied to the outbreak in acute care, including 11 staff and eight patients.
• Non-urgent and elective inpatient and day surgical procedures have been temporarily postponed. Urgent cases will be referred to alternative sites.
• Visitor restrictions are in place for the outbreak units.
Long-term care facilities:
• Catholic Social Services group home;
• Doreen Johnson House;
• Good Shepherd Lutheran Home;
• Peace Hills Lodge;
• Unlimited Potential Community Services Lotus House.
Other facilities and settings:
• Wetaskiwin Hub.
As of the most recent updates to the provincial COVID-19 numbers the County of Wetaskiwin has 16 active cases and the City of Wetaskiwin has 24 active cases.