That the city is home to such a world-class aquatics and fitness facility can still take people a little by surprise, especially when they discover the possibilities inside.
“We built a centre you would typically see in a bigger city and it’s right here. We average about 550 paid admissions per day and welcome between 700 and 800 people through the doors,” says Kevin Lucas, the City of Wetaskiwin’s Director of Community Services.
What’s all the fuss about? Check it out:
- Surf’s up! – Missing your warm-weather getaway? Hit the waves on the Manluk Centre’s BoardRider surf system, one-of-a-kind in Western Canada … cheaper than Hawaii and no risk of a shark attack!
- A river workout – Hop in the Wetaskiwin Encompass Credit Union Lazy River, where walking 38 laps against the current equals a one mile, low-impact, full-body workout.
- Give it a whirl – It might be cold outside, but the Denham Ford whirlpool is always a cosy 103°F. And with seating for 32, there’s lots of room for friends! Prefer a drier heat? Head to the SIRRS LLP Steam Room.
- Red or Blue? – If an adrenaline adventure appeals, test drive the Supreme International or Crawford Family water-slides – one red and one blue – and see for yourself which gives the quicker splash.
- Dive right in – With six 25-metre lanes, the Wetaskiwin Co-op Competition Pool offers lots of room for laps, aquafit (dive into your New Year’s fitness resolutions a little early!), and even a kayaking program. And if learning to swim or improving your stroke is on your wish-list, they do that too!
- Make a splash – Have a little fun in the Moussa Group of Pools, including a tot pool with spray features and a three-lane leisure pool.
But wait, there’s still more…
Of course, the pool isn’t the only place to escape the cold this winter. Head upstairs to the Flaman fitness facility where you can feel the burn on weight, resistance and cardio machines – you gotta check out the newest challenge, the military-inspired Jacob’s Ladder – or go for a spin class.
“We really are your one-stop health and wellness destination,” Lucas says, noting registration is underway for the next program session beginning in January.
And if you’re still on the hunt for holiday gifts, a 10-admission Flex Pass it always the right size!
Find all the Manluk Centre hours and schedules online or stop by to check it out in person.