The deadline to file completed nomination papers for Wetaskiwin’s coming municipal by-election is noon, July 31.

Planning to run for Wetaskiwin City Council? Nomination deadline is July 31

The City of Wetaskiwin will fill two vacant councillor positions through the upcoming municipal by-election. If you’re considering putting your name forward as a candidate, here’s what you need to know!

To run in the election, candidates must be at least 18 years old on election day, (Sept. 11, 2019), a Canadian citizen, and a resident of Wetaskiwin since March 2019.

Candidates must submit their completed nomination papers to the Returning Officer at Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 – 50 Ave., Wetaskiwin) before 12 noon on July 31. Papers must be accompanied by a nomination deposit of $50, payable only by cash, cheque, cash order, or money order. The nomination must also be signed by a minimum of five residents of the City of Wetaskiwin who are also Canadian citizens over age 18.

Find nomination packages online at or at Wetaskiwin City Hall, 4705 – 50 Ave. Please carefully read the package before returning the nomination form to the Returning Officer.

For voters: How you can cast your vote

The City of Wetaskiwin has not been divided up into voting subdivisions, so all eligible voters will cast their ballots at the Wetaskiwin Memorial Arts Centre. You have two date options for casting your vote:

Advance voting: Noon until 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7 at the Memorial Arts Centre, 5206 – 50 St.

Election Day: From 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 11 at the Memorial Arts Centre, 5206 – 50 St.

What you’ll need to bring

The City does not have a voters list, so you’ll need to bring ONE piece of the following acceptable forms of identification to vote:

  • Photo identification issued by a Canadian Government or agency that contains you name and current address
  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college, or university
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Income/property tax assessment notice
  • Insurance policy or coverage card
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Pension plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement
  • Statement of government benefits
  • Utility bill
  • Vehicle ownership, registration, or insurance certificate
  • A letter or form (attestation) confirming that you live at the stated address. The letter may be signed by the authorized representative of a: commercial property management company; correctional institution; First Nations band or reserve; post-secondary institution; facility that provides services to the homeless; supportive living facility or treatment centre.

Visit for full details or call the Returning Officer at 780-361-4420 with any questions.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Leaders of Tomorrow kicks off Jan. 16

Nominations accepted for youth recognition until Feb. 22

Team improves access to addiction, mental health supports

Service provides expanded on-call consultation

Hang up on the phone fraudsters

If the phone call seems kind of crazy…

Pinpointing innovations

How precision spraying system helps Kings Lake Hutterite Colony save time, products and water

County gravel pit requires wetland solution

County of Wetaskiwin hears report about wetlands at Hilgartner pit

VIDEO: Trudeau insists Iran respect families’ wishes when it comes to burials

All 176 people on board the Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 were killed

Canadian public health agencies ramping up preparations in response to new virus

Health officials have said there are no confirmed cases of the emerging coronavirus in Canada

‘Naughty boy’: Monty Python star Terry Jones dies at 77

The comedian has been suffering from a rare form of dementia

Alberta premier wants federal government to do more about opioid imports

Jason Kenney says Canada should find ways to cut down on drugs being smuggled into the country

Alberta Energy Regulator laying off staff, restructures, deals with budget cuts

Gordon Lambert, interim CEO, says the changes are part of a restructuring

Energy companies owe more than double the tax to Alberta municipalities

Survey says communities are owed $173 million — up 114% since last spring

No gondola from Banff to Mount Norquay, feds say

Parks Canada dismisses proposal for gondola, Grizzly Pavilion and boardwalks

U.S. officials confirm first case of Wuhan coronavirus near Seattle

The U.S. is the fifth country to report seeing the illness

Most Read