Spring has arrived, meaning it’s time to start thinking about all things gardening!
Beginning this week, residents are invited to sign up on the City of Wetaskiwin’s Community Garden page and reserve their plot for the coming growing season.
Community gardens are an important component in creating a healthy, sustainable city and the City of Wetaskiwin welcomes both returning gardeners and community garden newcomers.
Here’s how it works:
1. Two garden plot locations are available this year:
- 47 Street, across from the Early Education building, with one plot per household permitted
- Montgomery Park, at 53 Street and 52 Avenue, with two plots per household permitted
The City will have all the plots marked out, tilled and ready for planting by the Friday before May long-weekend, with water provided at both garden locations.
2. Plots are 10 feet x 30 feet and assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. The number of spaces available at each location is limited.
3. Garden plots must be kept weed-free, and must not encroach on the neighbouring plot. If any plots fall under disrepair or are abandoned, contact with the plot holder will be attempted, then the plot will be tilled. No refund will be offered.
4.Only organic products for fertilizer and pest control are permitted.
5. All plots must be harvested and cleaned up no later than the end of September.
To reserve your garden plot:
Email Wetaskiwin Public Works at firstname.lastname@example.org or call
If plots are available at your preferred location, the Terms of Reference/Application form will be sent to you for completion.
A $50 deposit and the completed application form are required prior to planting. $30 will be refunded at the end of the season once the plot has been properly cleaned out (all plant material removed from the plot).
The deposit can be paid by cheque, cash, debit, credit card or money order at City Hall from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday (the office is closed from 12 noon to 1 p.m.). You can also drop off your cheque in the mailbox on the northwest side of City Hall—ensure that you attach the cheque to the completed application form). To pay by credit card with signed pre-authorization form, request the form by emailing email@example.com.
For more information, check out the Community Garden Frequently Asked Questions, or call Public Works at