Are you a Wetaskiwin citizen wondering why the City is mapping out the next 50 years when we are still being challenged with issues today?
Because we won’t get anywhere if we leave success up to chance.
When you have a child, do you begin planning and saving for their future education while taking care of their day-to-day needs? Have you started planning for your retirement, even though you may have another 25 years left in the workforce? Balancing looking ahead to our shared future while dealing with the realities of today is the only way we will move ahead — together — to a brighter future.
The #Wetaskiwin2070 community visioning initiative will not succeed without your input. We all want better things for our future, and we need to give voice to those hopes so that our community can plot that course ahead together.
So — if you were to picture your ideal Wetaskiwin in the year 2070, what would you see?
Are you strolling the tree-lined streets of a bustling downtown filled with a variety of shops and restaurants?
Exploring parks and green spaces designed with families in mind, and accessible features for seniors and those with limited mobility?
Maybe heading to work at a blossoming industrial or tech park bringing well-paying jobs and new opportunities to Wetaskiwin?
“This gives us the opportunity to not only envision what our City will look like in 50 years, but also empower those living here to start creating the change they want for their community and what that could look like—starting today,” said Wetaskiwin Mayor Tyler Gandam.
Sharing your vision for Wetaskiwin couldn’t be easier.
Whether posting on the City’s easy-to-use online engagement platform or getting super-creative on social media, share your excitement about what’s next for your community.
- Visit online at haveyoursay.wetaskiwin.ca and share your thoughts on how Wetaskiwin should move forward toward 2070.
- Join one of two November workshops – one virtual and one in-person. In small groups, you’ll discuss provocative questions exploring Wetaskiwin’s 50-year vision. Information will be anonymous and included in a time capsule at the project’s conclusion. Connect virtually on Wednesday, Nov. 25 from 5:30 to 8 p.m., or in-person on Thursday, Nov. 26 from 5:30 to 8 p.m.Safety protocols will be in place to ensure safety and comfort.
- Get creative on a vision mural – Pick-up a ceramic tile and express your vision for Wetaskiwin through pictures and/or words – together the tiles will create a colourful community vision. Check out all the details here.
- Go social! One of the best ways to spark ideas and conversation is with social media. Get your neighbours excited about your community’s future with a TikTok or YouTube video, Instagram photo or Facebook or Twitter post – just remember to include #Wetaskiwin2070. The most creative post will even win a prize and be featured on the City of Wetaskiwin’s Facebook page later this year!
- What would you say to your future self or community? Share it in a letter! Select letters will be added to the time capsule alongside additional artefacts and insights gleaned from these visioning initiatives. The capsule will be buried at a secret location until 2070 when Wetaskiwinites can reflect on life in 2020 and see how close the community came to the vision.
Learn more at haveyoursay.wetaskiwin.ca/50-year-community-vision