The City of Wetaskiwin is looking to fill two councillor positions in the upcoming municipal by-election. Here is what you need to know.
This will be held Saturday September 7, 2019 from 12:00 noon until 6:00 p.m. at the Memorial Arts Centre (5206 – 50 Street, Wetaskiwin, across from the Royal Canadian Legion).
The by-election will be held Wednesday, September 11, 2019 from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. at the Memorial Arts Centre (5206 – 50 Street, Wetaskiwin)
The City of Wetaskiwin has not been divided up into voting subdivisions so all eligible voters will cast their ballots at the Wetaskiwin Memorial Arts Centre (5206 – 50 Street). The City does not have a voters list, therefore proof of identification is required to vote.
Only one piece of the following acceptable forms of identification is needed to vote:
• Photo identification issued by a Canadian Government or agency that contains you name and current address
• Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque
• Correspondence issued by a school, college, or university
• Government cheque or cheque stub
• Income/property tax assessment notice
• Insurance policy or coverage card
• Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
• Pension plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation
• Residential lease or mortgage statement
• Statement of government benefits
• Utility bill
• Vehicle ownership, registration, or insurance certificate
• A letter or form (attestation) confirming that you live at the stated address. The letter may be signed by the following:
o Authorized representative of a commercial property management company
o Authorized representative of a correctional institution
o Authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve
o Authorized representative of a post-secondary institution
o Authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless
o Authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre
• Election candidates must be:
o at least 18 years old on Election Day (September 11, 2019)
o a Canadian citizen
o a resident of Wetaskiwin since March 2019.
• Candidates must fill out and submit their nomination papers to the Returning Officer at City Hall prior to July 31 at 12 p.m. (noon) which must be accompanied by the nomination deposit of $50.00 and payable by cash, cheque, cash order, or money order only. The Nomination must be signed by a minimum of five residents of the City of Wetaskiwin—who are also over the age of 18 and are Canadian Citizens.
• Nomination packages are available online at www.wetaskiwin.ca/byelection or at Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 – 50 Avenue). Please carefully read the package before returning the nomination form to the Returning Officer.
Visit www.wetaskiwin.ca/byelection for full details. You can also call the Returning Officer at 780.361.4420 with any questions.