Calgary man convicted in five-year-old grandson’s death sentenced to 9 years

Boy’s mother allowed his grandfather to bring him to Canada for what she believed would be a better life

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Richard Neufeld found Allan Perdomo Lopez guilty of manslaughter last month. (Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS)

A judge who sentenced a man Friday to nine years in prison for killing his young grandson said the injuries he inflicted upon the five-year-old boy were appalling.

Allan Perdomo Lopez, 60, was found guilty of manslaughter last month in the 2015 death of Emilio Perdomo, who court heard was a happy and friendly boy in his home country of Mexico.

The trial heard that the boy’s mother allowed his grandfather to bring him to Canada for what she believed would be a better life.

Instead, the boy died of a traumatic brain injury five months after his arrival. He had bruises and scars, in various stages of healing, all over his body that weren’t visible in photos of him back in Mexico.

Emilio was taken to a Calgary hospital unconscious on July 9, 2015. He didn’t wake up and died eight days later.

“His condition on admission to hospital was, in a word, appalling,” Queen’s Bench Justice Richard Neufeld said in his sentencing decision.

The Crown had proposed a prison sentence of 12 to 15 years, while the defence said six to eight years would be more appropriate.

Prosecutor Vicki Faulkner told court that Perdomo Lopez deserved a harsh sentence because he was in a position of trust over Emilio, a vulnerable and isolated little boy.

She also said the offender expressed no remorse, except for the consequences to himself, and referred to his grandson as a demon who needed to be cleansed from the house.

The judge disagreed. He said there was “ample” evidence of remorse in a police recording of Perdomo Lopez praying in his minivan.

“You admitted to your God that you killed Emilio, even though you did not mean to do so,” Neufeld told the offender as he stood in the prisoner’s dock.

But the judge said he did not factor remorse into his decision, because Perdomo Lopez chose not to express it at trial.

Defence lawyer Darren Mahoney had urged the judge to focus on a single blow that caused Emilio’s death, because it was not proven in court that his client was solely responsible for the boy’s past abuse.

The offender’s wife, Carolina Perdomo, was accused initially in Emilio’s death. The Crown stayed a manslaughter charge against her earlier this year.

The judge said that even if Perdomo Lopez did not inflict the older injuries, he did nothing to stop them from happening.

“It cannot be doubted that Mr. Perdomo considered himself to be the head of the household,” said Neufeld.

“The historical injuries were obvious for anyone to see, including Mr. Perdomo, who was actively involved in the day-to-day care of his grandson.”

Lauren Krugel, The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘Manny’s Motel’ badly damaged by fire Jan. 15

Police say 40 Ave. closed due to fire, use alternate route

From courthouse to council’s house

Old courthouse had long history before becoming City Hall

Revenue Canada, RCMP don’t accept Bitcoin: police

RCMP issue Bitcoin warning posters

Writer says Alberta highway system falling apart

Highways in ‘deplorable’ condition: writer

County council denies request for parking lot

Buck Lake groups are welcome to raise funds and return to council

Canada to bolster screening of central China passengers for virus at 3 airports

Additional measures will include messaging on arrivals screens in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver

Rebels fight back from 3-1 Raider lead to win 4-3 in shootout

Two goals by Zak Smith key to Rebels comeback

PHOTOS: Eastern Newfoundland reeling, search underway for missing man after blizzard

More than 70 centimetres of new snow fell overnight, creating whiteout conditions

Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,’ says Queen Elizabeth II

RCMP Major Crimes Unit lays charges in Stettler death

Nicholas Climb Johnson, 32, of Stettler is charged with second degree murder in the death of his father

Metis nations ask Ottawa to negotiate directly with them, not national body

Three provincial Metis nations will work through the national council until after the federal government releases its 2020 budget

Canada to give $25,000 to families of each Canadian who died in Iran plane crash

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also made it clear that Canada still expects Iran to compensate victims

Oil and gas industry applauds top court’s dismissal of B.C.’s Trans Mountain case

The high court’s ruling Thursday removes one of the remaining obstacles for the project

Sylvan Lake RCMP seek assistance in locating missing male

Mark Crier, 17, was last seen in Sylvan Lake on Jan. 13

Most Read