City of Wetaskiwin awards tender for Main Street Phase 3 project

Tight timelines for Wetaskiwin Main Street project cause for some councilor’s concern

The Main Street Phase 3 project for the City of Wetaskiwin has been awarded tender at a price of just over $3 million.

City council approved the contract for construction services for the project be awarded to Border Paving Ltd. The decision came during council’s May 29 special council meeting; Coun. Joe Branco voted in opposition of the motion.

Sue Howard, director of engineering and development, explained to council three firms responded to the tender and a team of seven, for the city, assessed each submission in accordance with the evaluation posted with the tender.

“Overall, Border Paving scored the highest with the lowest bid,” said Howard.

Coun. Wayne Neilson questioned how the Main Street Phase 3 project construction will tie into the city’s Jubilee Park project; the two projects are not covered by the same budget.

In an interview with the Pipestone Flyer, Howard said both of the projects were scheduled to be finished last year but the work could not be completed in time. As a result the work is being given to two separate contractors.

Howard says near the end of June administration will come back to council with concept plans for a sloped interface.

Council is also set to see concept plans for the Jubilee Park. “If council sees a concept they like for that interface we’ll just remove it from Border (Paving),” said Howard.

“Provided council gives us feedback soon enough I don’t see why we can’t get it done this year,” she added.

Neilson also asked what kind of completion date the Main Street Phase 3 project was looking at.

The original date was set for August, 2017. However, Howard informed council it has been extended to Sept. 15, 2017.

“The project team is fully aware of the constraint of time on this project,” said Howard. She explained penalties would be in place if milestones of the project were not hit or the conditions of the contract not properly met.

Councillors voiced concerns on the tight project budget. There is a 10 per cent contingency fee included with the project if needed.

“I guess I’m concerned if we’re running tight, and the 10 per cent contingency isn’t good enough, that we will go over budget,” said Neilson.

Howard says 10 per cent for a road project is typical and there are no geotechnical concerns for the project, which is where issues could arise from.

Branco questioned what the average overrun of the previous Main Street project phases were.

City manager Dave Burgess says Phase 4 (which was completed before Phase 3) did not come in as planned. “This is actually quite favourable, what this phase is coming in at.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Just Posted

‘Manny’s Motel’ badly damaged by fire Jan. 15

Police say 40 Ave. closed due to fire, use alternate route

From courthouse to council’s house

Old courthouse had long history before becoming City Hall

Revenue Canada, RCMP don’t accept Bitcoin: police

RCMP issue Bitcoin warning posters

Writer says Alberta highway system falling apart

Highways in ‘deplorable’ condition: writer

County council denies request for parking lot

Buck Lake groups are welcome to raise funds and return to council

Rebels fight back from 3-1 Raider lead to win 4-3 in shootout

Two goals by Zak Smith key to Rebels comeback

‘Extensive’ work planned at Big Bar landslide ahead of salmon, steelhead migration

Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan visited the site of the slide from June

Royal deal clears way for Harry, Meghan part-time Canada move: experts

Keith Roy of the Monarchist League of Canada said the deal is exactly what Harry and Meghan asked for

PHOTOS: Eastern Newfoundland reeling, search underway for missing man after blizzard

More than 70 centimetres of new snow fell overnight, creating whiteout conditions

Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,’ says Queen Elizabeth II

RCMP Major Crimes Unit lays charges in Stettler death

Nicholas Climb Johnson, 32, of Stettler is charged with second degree murder in the death of his father

Metis nations ask Ottawa to negotiate directly with them, not national body

Three provincial Metis nations will work through the national council until after the federal government releases its 2020 budget

Most Read