The County of Wetaskiwin is pretty dry right now, and council is poised to place a fire restriction Wednesday, May 9.
During the monthly Public Works Committee meeting, it was mentioned near the end of the gathering that the county would place a fire restriction Wednesday, May 9, at 10 a.m. unless moisture conditions changed drastically in 24 hours.
According to the county, “Due to the dry, windy conditions and warming temperatures, the County of Wetaskiwin No. 10 will not be authorizing any new Fire Permits until further notice; also, currently issued Fire Permits are suspended.”
The exemptions to this Fire Restriction are as follows:
• Internal household fire places
• Incinerators (for farm and acreage use)
• Regulated burning barrels
• Camp stoves
• Solid fuel barbeques (charcoal briquettes)
• Liquid fueled barbeques (propane & natural gas)
• Recreational camp fires in an approved fire pit, with grate covering
• Fires contained within approved facilities and appliances in designated camping and recreational areas
More information is available at the County of Wetaskiwin website at http://www.county.wetaskiwin.ab.ca/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=13.