County of Wetaskiwin pushes land use bylaw to 2018

RV policy decision delayed to January

Several new faces can be found sitting around the table when Wetaskiwin county council gathers in its chambers, following the Oct. 16 municipal election; and council has decided to delay discussions on a number of big ticket items until the new year to give a chance for the four first-term councillors to familiarize themselves with the issues.

During the County of Wetaskiwin’s Nov. 1 planning and economic development meeting councillors discussed how to proceed with the county’s new land use bylaw as well as a policy potentially allowing the use of recreational vehicles (RV) during special events.

Council held a public hearing to gain public opinion of the proposed land use bylaw on Oct. 12, but deferred making any decisions as there was the possibility a majority of council that was present for the public hearing would not re-elected — which was the case.

At the Jan. 11 planning and economic development meeting councillors will start discussions on the land use bylaw. This will give councillors time to review the document themselves before bringing their questions and opinions to council.

“I think it would be better if all council sat down and went through it,” said reeve Kathy Rooyakkers. She wants council’s new members to have a good understanding of the document before holding a second public hearing.

“We realized it would be prudent to allow the new council to look at the proposed land use bylaw,” said David Blades, director and planning and economic development.

“The land use bylaw is a 15 to 20 year direction,” said assistant CAO Rod Hawken.

Council also scheduled its discussion surrounding the policy of RV use during special events for Jan. 11.

Coun. Lyle Seely expressed his personal displeasure at the need for such a restrictive policy, saying that 99.5 per cent of the time special events such as family reunions will cause no trouble for the county and it is the other 0.5 per cent that cause the need for regulations.

“I really have a problem being regulated cradle to grave. But it is what it is,” said Seely.

Currently the County of Wetaskiwin has no similar policy and family reunions using RVs are not allowed within many land use zones.

“We don’t want the County of Wetaskiwin to become a free for all,” said Coun. Terry Van de Kraats.

“I know it becomes restrictive but that’s the way our society is today,” he added.

Blades informed council, administration is not looking to have landowners make submissions through an actual permitting process. The policy will require more of a letter of intent structure, which will give the county more flexibility when dealing with applications.

amelia.naismith@pipestoneflyer.ca

Just Posted

Major announcement planned for Tuesday at Westerner Park

Hopes are that the CFR will be relocating to Red Deer

City of Wetaskiwin adopts local improvement policy to address deteriorating roads

Local improvement levy makes comeback after 13 year hiatus

County of Wetaskiwin passes intermunicipal collaboration frameworks with neighboring counties

Collaboration attempt not returned by First Nations: assistant CAO

Brocket school teacher arrested on child porn charges

Investigators charged Anderson with possessing, accessing, and distributing child pornography.

Semi tractor driver dies in Highway 2 collision

The southbound lanes of Highway 2 near Lacombe were closed for some time

UPDATE/WATCH: Jason Klaus and Josh Frank guilty in triple murder

Crown argues for 75 years to life in prison, sentencing on Jan. 22nd

How an immigrant to Canada helped Donald Trump prove his mental health

Test that cleared Trump was developed by doctor associated with McGill and Sherbrooke universities

Ice dancers Virtue and Moir to carry flag for Canada at 2018 Olympics

The pair earned a gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games

Diplomacy on agenda at North Korea summit in Vancouver

Foreign ministers from 20 countries are meeting Tuesday to discuss security and stability on the Korean Peninsula.

Kids chained in Calif. house of horrors; parents arrested

Authorities say an emaciated teenager led deputies to home where her 12 brothers and sisters were locked up in filthy conditions

‘Reprehensible’: Trudeau abortion policy raises ire of U.S. right

“This man is reprehensible,” tweeted former White House staffer Sebastian Gorka

‘I shouldn’t have to have a husband:’ Winnipeg woman criticizes men-only club

Jodi Moskal discovered the Winnipeg Squash Racquet Club continues to ban women as members, as it has done since opening in 1909.

Japan public TV sends mistaken North Korean missile alert

The false alarm came two days after Hawaii’s emergency management department sent a mistaken warning

Toronto girl dies after being pinned between vehicles while picked up from school

Police say an SUV with no driver in it rolled forward and pinned the girl against her father’s car

Most Read