Riseup - The Leduc Riseup House was one of three recipients of the annual Edmonton International Airport Charity Golf Classic

Edmonton International Airport raises $200,000 for charity

Edmonton International Airport's annual charity golf classic raised $200,000 for three community charities.

Edmonton International Airport’s annual charity golf classic raised $200,000 for three community charities.

Heather Hamilton, director of communications with the Edmonton International Airport, says when the dust settled the golf charity had brought in approximately $195,000. “The airport topped it up. We were so close.”

Each year the classic raises funds for the Youth Empowerment and Support Services, Riseup House and the Leduc and District Food Bank.

Hamilton says 70 per cent of the funds go to the Youth Empowerment and Support Services and the remaining 30 per cent is split equally between the other two organizations.

The Youth Empowerment and Support Services was the original group the classic focused on but it grew so large it was able to expand its reach.

Sponsors and companies totaled 70 and 185 golfers came out to support the event. “Full house on the golfers. We sold out on the dinner too,” said Hamilton.

“It’s just really great support from the community and a lot of fun too,” she added.

 

Just Posted

Unsightly premises fees added to County of Wetaskiwin tax bill

Property owner cannot be located, so contractor cleaned yard

Alberta RCMP reminds Albertans how to be ‘egg-stra’ safe this Easter

Put away phone while driving, plan for a designated driver

Wetaskiwin’s Leaders of Tomorrow honoured Apr. 8

Four youth impress the Wetaskiwin community

UPDATED Maskwacis-Wetaskiwin winner Wilson says Alberta wanted change

UPDATED Both Rick Wilson and Mark Smith had no trouble Apr. 16 with opposing parties

Kenney talks pipelines with Trudeau after election win, calls it cordial

Almost a year ago Kenney dismissed Trudeau as a dilettante and a lightweight

Sri Lanka invokes war-time military powers after nearly 300 killed in Easter bombings

Sri Lanka’s minister of tourism says 39 foreign tourists were killed in the Easter Sunday attacks

Bodies of 3 mountain climbers recovered after last week’s Banff avalanche

The men disappeared while attempting to climb the east face of Howse Peak in the Icefields Parkway

Happy birthday: Queen Elizabeth II turns 93 on Easter Sunday

Sunday is the first of two birthday celebrations each year for the queen

Person airlifted to hospital after avalanche in Yoho National Park has died

The man was among a party of three involved in an avalanche Saturday afternoon

QUIZ: How much do you know about Easter?

Take this short quiz and put your knowledge to the test

Global Affairs warns Canadians in Sri Lanka there could be more attacks

A series of bomb blasts killed at least 207 people and injured hundreds more

Parents say Austrian climber missing in Banff National Park ‘lived his dream’

David Lama, Hansjorg Auer and American climber Jess Roskelley have been missing since Wednesday

Six months after legalization, high prices and supply issues boost illicit pot market

It has been six months since Canada became the first industrialized country to legalize recreational cannabis

Kirkland Signature veggie burgers recalled due to possible metal fragments

Recalled products came in 1.7 kg packages with a best before date of Apr. 23, 2019

Most Read