Indigenous group files legal challenge over ‘inadequate’ COVID-19 funding

Indigenous group files legal challenge over ‘inadequate’ COVID-19 funding

OTTAWA — A national Indigenous organization that represents First Nations, Inuit and Metis living off-reserve and in urban centres is taking the federal government to court over what it alleges is “inadequate and discriminatory funding” for the COVID-19 response.

The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples has filed for a judicial review in the Federal Court of Canada, challenging the funding amount of $250,000 it received as part of a COVID-19 fund earmarked for off-reserve Indigenous populations.

The national chief of the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, Robert Bertrand, says the meagre funding allocation dedicated to off-reserve Indigenous organizations contravenes the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“The amount CAP has received for our constituents across Canada is a slap in the face,” Bertrand told a Commons committee Wednesday.

He said his organization planned to return the money to Ottawa.

The federal government pledged $305 million to help First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, with $15 million of this money set aside for organizations providing services to those living off reserves or in urban centres.

Earlier this month, Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller acknowledged the $15 million was not enough. His department received far more applications than the 94 proposals it approved.

Miller was not available for an interview Wednesday, but a statement from his office said Indigenous Services Canada has been made aware of the court challenge.

His press secretary, Vanessa Adams, said in the statement the money provided to the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples was “just one part” of the department’s response to the pandemic.

“We know more support is needed and are actively working with communities to identify and deliver the supports to make sure no Indigenous community is left behind,” Adams said.

Christopher Sheppard-Buote of the National Association of Friendship Centres told the committee the federal government’s distinctions-based approach to COVID-19 relief funding, which recognizes the unique rights, interests and circumstances of First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities, is leaving many urban Indigenous people and groups behind.

Those who are not living on a First Nation reserve or in an Inuit or Metis community are feeling “unseen” in the federal COVID-19 response, Sheppard Buote said, despite the fact the majority of Indigenous people in Canada do not live in a distinct Indigenous community.

Friendship centres across Canada, which provide culturally enhanced programs and services to urban Indigenous residents, jumped into action to help their clients when the pandemic began. They have been delivering food, caring for elders, supporting people in applying for federal and provincial funding programs and have been helping people find safe transportation and shelter — all in spite of an inadequate level of funding coming from Ottawa, he said.

Edith Cloutier, executive director of the Val-d’Or Native Friendship Centre, says the pandemic hit her centre hard, but her employees and volunteers did what they have always done — they took care of the people in their community.

“Financial concerns and funding were not our guiding principles on insisting on continuing to serve the members in our community. We acted because there was a need to act and to act quickly, and because it was the right thing to do,” she said in French.

“But fighting this crisis, it will have a cost.”

While she was pleased to see Ottawa dedicate funding to ensure Indigenous populations get additional support through COVID-19, she said the “blind spot” in this financial aid has been the people she serves.

This will have an impact on her community and on those who are helping fill those gaps, Cloutier said.

“It’s unfortunate that the organizations that are there to help the most vulnerable themselves become vulnerable.”

She said her centre is mourning the recent deaths of two former clients: a 41-year-old man named Mathieu, who died by suicide last month and Nathan, a 19-year-old Cree man who was found lifeless last week in downtown Val-d’Or, Que.

“These losses are collateral damage from COVID-19 … previously, their moccasins had carried them to the friendship centre during a period of deep distress and vulnerability, looking for an outstretched hand, support, cultural anchor and some sense of identity,” she said.

“Our experience over the last eight years and in managing this health crisis has allowed us to see that this pandemic has only increased the depression and the vulnerability of these Indigenous populations.

“We see that the tragic end of Mathieu and Nathan and so many more are there to remind us of this.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 13, 2020.

— Follow @ReporterTeresa on Twitter

Teresa Wright, The Canadian Press

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta children whose only symptom of COVID-19 is a runny nose or a sore throat will no longer require mandatory isolation, starting Monday.
477 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Alberta on Thursday

Changes being made to the COVID-19 symptom list for school-age children

There were 410 COVID-19 cases recorded in Alberta Wednesday. (File photo)
Alberta records 410 COVID-19 cases Wednesday

Central zone dropped to 160 active cases

Shaun Isaac, owner of Woodchucker Firewood in Trochu, is awaiting a new shipment during a firewood shortage in the province. All of the wood he has left is being saved for long-time customers who need it to heat their homes. (Contributed photo).
Firewood shortage in central Alberta caused by rising demand, gaps in supply

‘I’ve said “No” to more people than ever’: firewood seller

file photo
Maskwacis RCMP investigate pedestrian fatality

Collision on Highway 2A causing fatality still under investigation.

Royal Alexandra Hospital front-line workers walk a picket line after walking off the job in a wildcat strike in Edmonton, on Monday, October 26, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta labour board orders health-care staff who walked off the job to go back to work

Finance Minister Travis Toews said in a news release that he was pleased with the labour board’s decision

Pilots Ilona Carter and Jim Gray of iRecover Treatment Centres, in front of his company’s aircraft, based at Ponoka’s airport. (Perry Wilson/Submitted)
95-year-old Ilona Carter flies again

Takes to the skies over Ponoka

Children’s backpacks and shoes are seen at a daycare in Langley, B.C., on Tuesday May 29, 2018. Alberta Children’s Services Minister Rebecca Schulz says the province plans to bring in a new way of licensing and monitoring child-care facilities. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Alberta proposes legislation to change rules on child-care spaces

Record-keeping, traditionally done on paper, would be allowed digitally

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shakes hands with US Vice-President Joe Biden on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Friday, December 9, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle
A Biden presidency could mean good news for Canadian environment policy: observers

Experts and observers say even a U.S. outside the Paris agreement may ultimately end up in the same place

People take a photo together during the opening night of Christmas Lights Across Canada, in Ottawa, on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019. The likelihood that most Canadians will enjoy a holly jolly Christmas season of gatherings, caroling and travel is unlikely, say public health experts who encourage those who revel in holiday traditions to accept more sacrifices ahead. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
Ho, ho, no: Experts advise preparing for a scaled-back COVID holiday season

Many of the holiday season’s highlights have already been scrapped or are unlikely to take place

Sen. Kim Pate is shown in Toronto in an October 15, 2013, file photo. The parliamentary budget office says a proposed law that would give judges discretion on whether to apply a lesser sentence for murder could save the federal government $8.3 million per year. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Colin Perkel
Judicial discretion for mandatory minimum sentences for murder would save $8.3M: PBO

The result would be fewer people in long-term custody at federal correctional institutions, experts say

Husky Energy logo is shown at the company’s annual meeting in Calgary on May 5, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Husky pipeline spills 900,000 litres of produced water in northwestern Alberta

The energy regulator says environmental contractors are at the site

A raccoon paid a visit to a Toronto Tim Hortons on Oct. 22, 2020. (shecallsmedrew/Twitter)
Who are you calling a trash panda? Raccoon takes a shift at Toronto Tim Hortons

Tim Hortons said animal control was called as soon they saw the surprise visitor

Most Read