UPDATE — RCMP have made arrests and recovered stolen property in connection with the break and enter that took place at the Hobby Spot business in Leduc, Alta., Feb. 5, 2023.
The Leduc RCMP Crime Reduction Unit (LCRU) have recovered over $35,000 in stolen property in addition to unrelated stolen property and have laid charges against one male in relation to this investigation.
Leduc RCMP recieved information on Feb. 7, 2023, that three of the stolen cards from the break and enter were sold at a card business in Edmonton, Alta. Police continued to investigate and with the assistance of the Edmonton Police Service a suspect and residence were identified.
On Feb. 10, LCRU, Leduc RCMP General Investigation Section and Drug Unit executed a search warrant at a south east Edmonton area residence where they arrested the suspect. During this search they also recovered a large quantity of stolen property and seized items including:
- Semi-automatic rifle;
- 149 rounds of ammunition;
- Cash drawer;
- Five grams of suspected Crystal Methamphetamine;
- Over 500 capsules of various medications;
- 17 boxes/ bottles of various medications;
- Several sets of building keys, vehicle keys and vehicle key fobs;
- Stolen mail;
- Trading/ collecting and gaming cards including NHL, NBA, MLB, Pokemon, Magic The Gathering, Yugioh, Dicemasters, MetaZoo and Flesh and Blood;
- Comic books;
- And Warhammer Models.
Edmonton resident Justin Jarrod Charest, 32, was charged with:
- Break and enter;
- Trafficking property over $5,000;
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000 (x2);
- Unsafe storage of a firearm;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm;
- Possession of a controlled substance — methamphetamine;
- Failure to comply with release order (x4).
Following a judicial hearing Charest was remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in Leduc provincial court on Feb. 28, 2023.
LCRU’s investigation into this incident is ongoing.
ORIGINAL — On Feb. 5, 2023, at 3:34 a.m., Leduc RCMP received a 911 call of a break and enter in progress at The Hobby Spot business in Leduc.
An unknown suspect forced their way into the business, causing damage and stealing a large number of items valued at over $55,000. The suspect then fled out the rear door of the business in an unknown direction.
Leduc RCMP members with the assistance of the RCMP Police Dog Services made extensive patrols of the area, however the suspect was not located.
The suspect is described as:
– Light complexion
– Approximately 6’ – 6’2”
– Approximately 215 – 235lbs
– Last seen wearing a dark coloured hooded sweater, dark coloured pants, dark coloured gloves and shoes.
Leduc RCMP’s investigation into this incident is ongoing.
Leduc RCMP are asking the public’s assistance for any information in relation to this incident and to assist in identifying those responsible. Please contact Leduc RCMP at 780-980-7200 or your local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app. available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.