A police officer escorts a civilian away from the scene of a mass casualty incident in Toronto on Sunday, July 22, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn

Update: Police probe Toronto shooting that killed 2, injured 12; suspected gunman dead

Paramedics said many of the victims in Danforth, including a child, were rushed to trauma centres

UPDATE: July 23

Two people were killed and 12 others were injured when a man armed with a handgun fired into restaurants and patios in a popular Toronto neighbourhood on a warm Sunday night, authorities said Monday.

Police said the suspected gunman exchanged fire with officers and was later found dead in the area. There was no immediate word on a motive.

The incident began around 10 p.m. in the city’s Greektown, an area home to dozens of restaurants, small businesses and family homes.

Ontario’s police watchdog said the 29-year-old suspected gunman, whose identity has not been released, moved down Danforth Avenue, spraying bullets along the way. The Special Investigations Unit said the man later exchanged gunfire with police officers and was eventually found dead in the area.

Related: Feds looking at ways to tackle wave of gun violence in Toronto: Minister

The arm’s-length agency that probes incidents involving police in which someone is killed said it has opened an investigation into the alleged gunman’s death.

Several blocks in the heart of Greektown were surrounded by yellow police tape Monday morning, and nearly all local businesses were closed.

No information had yet been released about the two shooting victims. Police Chief Mark Saunders previously said a woman was killed and a girl, aged eight or nine, was in critical condition.

Witnesses posted many photos and videos, including a clip that appears to show a man, clad in black and carrying a satchel, walk a few steps before lifting his arms in front of him as gunshots ring out.

Neighbourhood residents visiting the scene of the shooting said they’re struggling to process the deadly incident.

“There’s a lot of good people here,” said Gord Cheong who lives blocks away. “There’s a lot of people who come to the Danforth, to Greektown, but it’s generally quite quiet. So this is unusual, and disturbing.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sent a statement of support via Twitter.

“My thoughts are with everyone affected by the terrible tragedy on the Danforth last night in Toronto, and may the injured make a full recovery,” he wrote Monday morning. “The people of Toronto are strong, resilient and brave — and we’ll be there to support you through this difficult time.”

Toronto Mayor John Tory called the shooting “a despicable act” and expressed outrage that someone had “unleashed such a terrible attack on our city and people innocently enjoying a Sunday evening.”

The mayor said the latest shooting happened as the city was still healing from a van attack that left 10 people dead just a few months ago.

In April, a white van mounted a sidewalk on a busy Toronto running down pedestrians.

Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont., faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

“We were so used to living in a city where these things didn’t happen and as we saw them going on in the world around us (we) thought they couldn’t happen here,” Tory told reporters Sunday night, urging people to stay calm while police carry on their investigation.

—-

ORIGINAL: July 22

Toronto police say nine people are in hospital after a mass shooting incident Sunday night in the downtown Toronto neighbourhood known as Greektown.

Police spokesman Mark Pugash also confirmed that the suspected shooter was dead, but he didn’t provide further details.

Paramedics said many of the victims, including a child, had been rushed to trauma centres, however, there was no immediate word on their conditions.

A woman, who only gave her first name as Mary, said she was in the Pantheon Restaurant on Danforth Avenue when she saw a little girl who appeared to be about seven or eight years old on a stretcher being placed in an ambulance.

John Tulloch says he and his brother had just gotten out of their car on Danforth when he heard about 20 to 30 gunshots.

“We just ran. We saw people starting to run so we just ran,” he said.

An army of police, paramedics and other first responders soon descended on the scene, while a crowd of area residents, some in their pyjamas emerged from their homes to see what was going on.

Just this weekend Toronto police deployed dozens of additional officers to deal with a recent spike in gun violence in the city.

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

County of Wetaskiwin changes speed curves project

Councilors vote in favour of case-by-case basis for gravel road curves

Remarkable Viking history shouldn’t be connected to anti-immigrant group

Soldiers of Odin should stop using Viking mythology in modern politics

Wetaskiwin-area small business is big business

Small business is really big business in rural Alberta communities

County of Wetaskiwin finds encroachment claim unfounded

Living quarters in garage had to be removed: County planner

Puff, puff, pass: Cannabis is officially legal across Canada

Alberta readies itself for cannabis sales with 17 stores (for now) and a new provincial website

Mellow opening to B.C.’s only legal pot shop

About five people lined up early for the opening of the BC Cannabis Store in Kamloops.

Jagmeet Singh says marijuana pardons are not enough

Trudeau government will streamline pardon process for Canadians convicted of simple possession of marijuana in the past

Test case challenges a politician’s right to block people from Twitter account

3 people say Watson infringed their constitutional right to freedom of expression by blocking them

After 50 years, ‘Sesame Street’ Big Bird puppeteer retiring

The puppeteer who has played Big Bird on “Sesame Street” is retiring after nearly 50 years on the show.

Britain, EU decide to take some time in getting Brexit right

Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said “we need much time, much more time and we continue to work in the next weeks.”

Parole denied for convicted killer-rapist Paul Bernardo after 25 years in prison

Paul Bernardo plead for release on Wednesday by arguing he has done what he could to improve himself during his 25 years in prison.

B.C. Lions look to cement CFL playoff spot with victory over Eskimos

B.C. can cement a post-season berth in the wild West Division on Friday night with a home win over the Edmonton Eskimos

Canada ban on asbestos takes effect but mining residues are exempt

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna plans to announce the new regulations implementing the ban on Thursday in Ottawa

UPDATE: Aurora Rafer has been found unharmed

RCMP have a man in custody and continue to investigate

Most Read