Submitted by Cst. Julian Celms
Leduc, AB – RCMP and Sheriffs are advising motorists of poor road conditions south of Edmonton on the Queen Elizabeth 2 highway, and adjacent roads. The inclement winter weather has resulted in winter driving conditions including poor visibility and a very slippery road surface. Motorists are advised to slow down and use caution when driving.
- Slow down when conditions are not ideal.
- Motorists have a legal obligation to drive according to road conditions.
- Keep your headlights on.
- Do not use cruise control in winter conditions.
- When travelling on snowy roads, try driving outside of the previous tire tracks to give you some extra traction.
- Signal well in advance of turning to give other motorists time to anticipate and react to your actions.
- Allow yourself extra distance to stop.
- Remember that bridge decks may be slippery even when other parts of the highway are not, since they are subject temperature fluctuations.