Winfield arena closed by county until permanent carbon monoxide detectors installed

A corroded pipe at the Winfield arena led to a carbon monoxide leak on Feb. 3.

A corroded pipe at the Winfield arena led to a carbon monoxide leak on Feb. 3.

A corroded pipe at the Winfield arena led to a carbon monoxide leak on Feb. 3.

“On Friday close to 11 o’clock (p.m.) we received a call from our arena operator. We had a men’s league team on the ice. They were getting sick, they were feeling dizzy,” said Geoff Lynch, director of leisure and community services.

The hamlet of Winfield is part of the County of Wetaskiwin, and its arena is handled by county staff. Lynch made a presentation to county council on the incident of the carbon monoxide leak during council’s Feb. 7 meeting.

A fire chief was on the ice at the time of the incident and recognized the symptoms as a result of carbon monoxide.

The arena was evacuated and 911 was called.

“It (carbon monoxide) was quite high in the arena area. The doors coming in and out from the arena to the dressing room, that’s where it was coming in,” said Lynch.

“We contacted all of our user groups, saying if you’re feeling nauseous and sick please seek medical treatment,” he added. He informed council one man was reported going to the hospital.

By approximately 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 4, a second reading indicated levels were back to normal.

Residential CO detectors are temporarily located in the arena, “For now, just to make sure,” said Lynch.

“When you look at the response I think the staff did the proper response in regards to evacuating, also having the fire department and Geoff down there until about 4 o’clock in the morning,” said CAO Frank Coutney.

In an interview Feb. 9, Lynch stated the one man who went to hospital had returned home the same night. A family member reported him as being okay.

Both Lynch and County Fire Chief Mike Zajac have been at the arena every day for the past week to identify the source of the leak and rectify the problem.

Lynch stated the arena remained closed to the public while the problem was found; it was revealed to be an overhead heater pipe, similar to those found in most other arenas. The pipe was corroded inside, and the hole or crack was difficult to see.

Lynch said the arena remains closed until new CO detectors can be installed. The county is just waiting for a supplier to provide the detectors.

 

Just Posted

High speed thrills for media at racetrack

NASCAR Pinty’s Series Luxxur 300 media day at EIR July 16

Mexican recipes for Dora’s Kitchen this week

Tasty enchilada recipe has two types of chilies

Field scouting in July

Field scouting can lead to more successful crop production

Alder Flats 4-H Multi Club Report

4-H kids visited aerial park in Edmonton

Wind, wet lodging crops in fields

By Ponoka News Staff The rain may help with moisture concerns but… Continue reading

Food fight: Liberals, Tories trade shots as pre-campaign battles intensify

Health Canada released an overhauled document that did away with traditional food groups and portion sizes

VIDEO: Bystander training gains traction as tool to prevent sexual harassment, violence

Julia Gartley was sexually assaulted after an event, and no one stepped in to help

Sexual assaults, extortion on the rise even as crime rates stay low: Stats Canada

Rates of police-reported sexual assault rose for the fourth year in a row

A year later, ceremony commemorates victims of the Danforth shooting

It’s the one-year anniversary of when a man opened fire along the bustling street before shooting and killing himself

Ottawa fights planned class action against RCMP for bullying, intimidation

The current case is more general, applying to employees, including men, who worked for the RCMP

Alberta judge denies B.C.’s bid to block ‘Turn Off the Taps’ bill

He said the proper venue for the disagreement is Federal Court

Buccaneers pillage Irish 36-0

Central Alberta bounces back after off week against Wolfpack

Sexual harassment complaints soaring amid ‘frat boy culture’ in Canada’s airline industry

‘It’s a #MeToo dumpster fire…and it’s exhausting for survivors’

Most Read