A Pair Of Laundry Fires, Little Damage

Pipestone Flyer

Working smoke detectors and quick responses from Leduc firefighters kept a pair of laundry fires from spreading further than they did.

Just before noon Sept. 22, a fire started in the furnace room of a Laundromat at 5705-57 St.

Leduc Fire Chief George Clancy said the maintenance man who was on site was able to knock the fire down until firefighters arrived so fire damage was contained to the furnace room, however there is smoke damage to the rest of the building.

No adjacent buildings were damaged.

Nearly 24 hours later, on Sept. 23 at 9:53 a.m., firefighters were called to a fire that started in the laundry room of a home in Meadowview subdivision.

The fire started in the dryer but spread to a nearby pile of clothing. The owner of the house was at home and called 911 shortly after discovering the fire. The quick response by firefighters, said Clancy, kept the fire damage contained to the laundry room. “They were small fires due to the quick response of the crews.”

Both buildings had working smoke detectors, which alerted people inside the buildings to the fire before they could spread, said Clancy.

The residential fire is under investigation to determine the exact origin of the fire.

“You don’t want to make assumptions that just because the dryer was on fire it started there,” he said.

To learn more about smoke detectors and protecting your home from fire, check out the Leduc Fire Dept.’s Open House during Fire Prevention Week on Oct. 4 from 1-3 at the Leduc Protective Services Building, 4119-50 St.