What do you think Wetaskiwin City Council should prioritize for 2022? Parks and recreation? Public safety? Economic development? All of the above, or something completely different?
The City’s goals and operations for the rest of this year will largely be dictated by the municipal budget Council will set in February. Developed and approved annually to finance delivery of programs and services to the community, the budget is one of the most critical initiatives undertaken by City staff and Council each year.
Beyond day-to-day operations, the annual budget also provides the resources required to make progress toward Wetaskiwin’s Fifty-Year Community Vision and Council’s strategic priorities — which will be finalized before budget deliberations begin on Feb. 8.
While an interim 2022 Municipal Budget was approved on Dec.13, 2021, the recent municipal election and welcoming of new City councillors necessitated that budget deliberations be rescheduled for February.
Before Council weighs in on the budget, they want to hear from you.
The public budget consultation sessions were originally intended to be held in-person, however, the changing public health protocols and increase in COVID positivity rates across the province have prompted the City to move to a virtual-only format.
The updated budget consultation plan offers community members a variety of opportunities to be involved in the process from the comfort and safety of their own homes.
Here’s a look at the budget timeline and how you can have your say:
- Any time from now until budget deliberations begin on Feb. 8 – connect with one of your elected members of Council to discuss the City’s budget! Contact information for each member of City Council can be found at wetaskiwin.ca/council.
- Jan. 17 to 31 – A virtual budgeting tool allows the public to review budget areas and provide feedback. Visit wetaskiwin.ca/budget to use the tool.
- Jan. 26, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Virtual budget open house held over Zoom. Details and zoom link available at wetaskiwin.ca/budget.
- Jan. 28, from 4 to 6 p.m. – Virtual budget open house held over Zoom. Details and zoom link available at wetaskiwin.ca/budget.
- Feb. 8, 9 and 10, beginning at 9 a.m. – Budget presentations and Council deliberations at Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 50 Ave.).
- Feb. 28, beginning at 1 p.m. – Anticipated approval of the 2022 municipal budget as part of the February 28 regular Council meeting.
Budget documents will be published online at wetaskiwin.ca/budget and printed copies will be available at Wetaskiwin City Hall (4705 50 Ave.) as soon as they’re finalized. Those with questions about the budget process are welcome to contact City Hall at