Allan Edgardo Perdomo Lopez. (Calgary Police Service handout)

Calgary man convicted in five-year-old grandson’s death to be sentenced

Allan Perdomo Lopez found guilty of manslaughter in the 2015 death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo

A Calgary man convicted of killing his young grandson is to learn his sentence today.

Allan Perdomo Lopez was found guilty of manslaughter last month in the 2015 death of five-year-old Emilio Perdomo.

The man’s trial heard Emilio was taken to Canada from Mexico so he could have a better life.

But instead, the boy died of a traumatic brain injury five months after his arrival.

Queen’s Bench Justice Richard Neufeld was shown photos of bruises and scars, in various stages of healing, all over Emilio’s body.

The Crown has proposed a prison sentence of 12 to 15 years, while the defence says six to eight years would be more appropriate.

Prosecutor Vicki Faulkner told court that Perdomo Lopez deserves a harsh sentence because he was in a position of trust over Emilio, a vulnerable and isolated little boy.

She also said the offender has expressed no remorse, except for the consequences to himself, and referred to the boy as a demon who needed to be cleansed from the house.

Defence lawyer Darren Mahoney agreed a stiff punishment is in order, but that six to eight years would be enough to send a message of denunciation and deterrence.

He urged the judge to focus on a single blow that caused Emilio’s death, because it was not proven in court that his client was solely responsible for past abuse.

A victim impact statement from the boy’s grandmother, with whom Emilio lived in Mexico before he was sent to Canada, was read at a sentencing hearing earlier this week.

In it, Marisol Segovia-Alvarez described a friendly and happy boy who loved music and wanted to buy his mother a house.

Lauren Krugel, The Canadian Press

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘So sorry:’ Man pleads guilty for gas-and-dash death of Thorsby gas station owner

Mitchell Robert Sydlowski was charged with second-degree murder, but the 29-year old pleaded guilty to the lesser offence

84 new cases of COVID-19 reported Friday

1,036 active cases across Alberta, 10,796 recovered cases

The photography trend that continues to climb: Best friend photo shoots

Rimbey photographer reflects on the growing demand for these lifestyle set shoots.

76 new cases of COVID-19 reported Thursday

Active cases at 1,036, 10,713 recovered cases

Wetaskiwin Regional Public Schools receive grant from Indigo Love of Reading Foundation.

WRPS has received $15,975 from the Indigo Love of Reading Foundation.

Premier Jason Kenney in Lacombe to introduce rural Internet

Shaw to provide 1g Internet to all AB residential customers

Widow of slain Red Deer doctor thanks community for support ahead of vigil

Fellow doctors, members of the public will gather for a physically-distanced vigil in central Alberta

VIDEO: World responds to B.C. girl after pandemic cancels birthday party

Dozens of cards and numerous packages were delivered to six-year-old Charlie Manning

U.S.-Canada pandemic border restrictions extended into September

‘We will continue to keep our communities safe,’ says Public Safety Minister Bill Blair

AB Infrastructure Minister announces $8,522,800 regional water transmission line

Funding is covered jointly by the province, Ottawa and benefiting municipalities

WE Charity registers as lobbyist, lays off staff, looking to sell real estate

WE Charity said its financial position has been greatly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic

Ermineskin Cree Nation has a new chief

There were seven challengers to incumbent, including NGCI president

Three people drown at Crescent Falls

Rocky Mountain House RCMP say the incident occurred Tuesday

Most Read