Council hears Millet Fire Dept. battled to save new house

Millet Town council heard that their local fire department responded to the same fire at a residence three times...

Millet Fire Hall

Millet Fire Hall

Millet Town council heard that their local fire department responded to the same fire at a residence three times, but the house was eventually destroyed by fire.

At their regular meeting Apr. 12 councilors read the regular report filed by the Millet Fire Department, the monthly activity log.

On the log, on Mar. 17 three separate reports were made by the fire department for the same address: 23243 Twn 484. It was first described as a “reported structure fire, confined to an attic,” then later that day “reported structure fire involving a fully involved residential structure” and finally “reported flare ups in the basement area of the same structure.”

Assistant CAO Lisa Schoening confirmed that the Millet Fire Dept. answered three separate calls from the same residence on that day. She stated that, after the initial call, the fire flared up and the house was destroyed.

She noted that it was a brand new home.

False alarms

An important issue that vexes all fire departments, false alarms was also listed on the March monthly activity log. Of the false alarms one was listed as a carbon monoxide alarm at a local residence that turned out to be a false alarm.